Iwillnot

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hello. I think I'm going to buy a lenovo y410p. It looks pretty well, and I watched some videos and I like it. My questions are:

-Will the NVIDIA GT 750M play newest games? In which settings?

-When shoul I buy it? Are there sales on January?

-Do you recommend me this laptop?

-I heard something that if you do not have the AC adapter plugged in, the laptop uses an Intel graphics card, and not the NVIDIA one. Is it possible to change that? And how?

-Could I play MAX PAYNE 3 with that laptop? And Left 4 Dead 2? In which settings (they both)?

-Does Windows 8 support Steam and its games? Could I change to Windows 7? Would changing to W7 cost me money?

-How much time does the battery have?

Sorry if I disturb you with this, but I need to be sure it is what I want!

Thanks!

You can go to the following link which is dedicated to the Y410p (massive thread). However, I will try to answer some of your questions.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/721331-lenovo-ideapad-y410p-owners-information-thread.html

1. The GT 750m is a pretty good mobile graphics card. Compared to a desktop graphics card it is considered a bit weaker than the Radeon HD 5770 / HD 6770 / HD 7750 which all have similar performance. The Radeon HD 7750 is considered a mainstream graphics card which should be capable of playing many games at 1600x900 resolution with high graphics quality and decent performance (above 30 FPS) which are not very graphics demanding. However, medium settings would be idea.

2. Lenovo always have sales at least in the US. The price range is $740 - $799 depending on the model (I would choose one with a 1600x900 resolution screen) are actually quite good. Will they sell them at a lower price? Perhaps, but that's really unknown and prices fluctuates from month to month so in January 2014 prices can go up, down, or remain the same.

3. Do I recommend it? Sure, why not? It seems well priced for what you get.

4. Based on my experience with the old Y470, the dedicated graphics chip will work when unplugged from the AC outlet. However, it will run slower when running on battery. For example, when testing Crysis 1 on my Y470 I noticed a difference in performance when plugged in to the AC outlet and running on battery (which only lasted about 1 hour before the battery dropped to 5%).

5.I am not familiar with Max Payne or L4D 2. However, L4D 2 runs on Valve's Source Engine which is known to be very easy on system requirements.

6. If Steam did not support Windows 8, then Valve would be in real trouble. You can downgrade to Win 7, but you will need to buy the OS. Additionally, I have read that it is actually difficult to do because Win 8 formats the hard drive differently. You should probably make a separate post about downgrading in the Windows 8 sub-forum.

7. Lenovo states a 5 hour battery life. Based on my experience, you can only get that if you are not surfing the web or watching videos. Typical battery life will likely be closer to 4 hours, less if you do more intensive things like watching videos. Gaming wise, probably between 60 minutes and 90 minutes (closer to 60).

The GT 750m should be able to run on battery. You should also be able to disable it as well. For example, I disabled the GT 550m in my Y470 so that I can test the performance of the Intel HD 3000 graphics core.

The link I provided to Notebookreview.com is specifically for the Y410p. There are 281 pages of replies which you can look through. Probably a good resource to find out any specific problems or complaints owners are having with that laptop.