Solved! I want to buy new speakers, and I need help

Michael Joeden

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
I am planning on purchasing KRK Rokit 5 G3's and am wondering if I should connect them via an amp with a TRS connector or an XLR, being that both of these are balanced connections. Most of the amps that I have found, namely the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 G2, only have TRS outputs. Should I use the TRS interface or is there any large benefit to going with XLR or vice versa? Thx

Solution
Going with XLR doesn't offer a huge benefit. The difference in quality is actually quite small and you can actually mitigate the difference to almost zero using higher quality cables. You just run into XLR being used in more professional equipment. So, if you are planning to buy more gear with the possibility of having some with XLR, then it never hurts to dip your toe in the stream, but the good old 1/4" connector isn't going anywhere and isn't going to do you wrong.

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Going with XLR doesn't offer a huge benefit. The difference in quality is actually quite small and you can actually mitigate the difference to almost zero using higher quality cables. You just run into XLR being used in more professional equipment. So, if you are planning to buy more gear with the possibility of having some with XLR, then it never hurts to dip your toe in the stream, but the good old 1/4" connector isn't going anywhere and isn't going to do you wrong.

Solution