Solved! I want to get the 2016 roku streaming stick. My 2009 tv has an HDMI port but no usb port to power the stick, so, what would I

Wingit

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015
I thought you just had to plug the 2016 roku streaming stick into your tv, and that's all there was to it, but I think it has to also use a usb cable that is supposed to also connect to your tv and to the stick itself. My tv does not have a usb port. It's a 2009 tv. So what would I need in order to make the stick work? The Roku website just shows people putting the stick into the HDMI port...taking it with them on trips and stuff...they don't show or tell that you have to have a usb connection too. I don't get it...help?

Solution
You never need a USB port.
The Roku website does suggests that you use the included USB cable and power supply but it sounds like it isn't strictly necessary.
HDMI does have 5V power but perhaps they include the power supply in case the TV can't handle the load.

Wingit

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015

Hi americanaudiophile...Thankyou. Are you pretty sure I don't need a usb port? That'd be great. Right now I have Dish tv and I'm hoping to un-do that and just use Roku instead. It'd be much cheaper I think. Thanks again.