i want to upgrade CPU of my laptob sony vaio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2018
Hello

I want to upgrade my processor but i'm still confused about what processor should i use on my laptob because i search in a lot of forums that processor cant change simply like ram for example so i wish if someone told me about what processors(i5) that will work and compatible with my device

Information about my device : my laptob model is sony vaio pcg-71811m i know it's old
motherboard: model: vaio -chipset: intel Sandy Bridge -SouthBridge: Intel HM65

and i want to know about if i put a bad(not compatible) processor on my laptob what will happening.

Thank you a lot :).

Solution

Unless you can find an example of someone swapping the CPU and confirm that it's working, you just need to try it and see if it works. That is the issue with swapping out CPUs on a laptop, the motherboard design is not very standard and a CPU that fits in the socket may not boot.

Looking at this https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+VAIO+PCG-71811M+Heat+Sink+Replacement/33927 the CPU is in a removable socket. Trick is what CPU is compatible with your system, often even if a CPU fits in the socket, it may not work in the laptop.

What CPU model do you have now? Look that up, see what socket is uses, and then look for CPUs with the same socket. Make sure the CPU is not just physically compatible but also electronically compatible with the socket.

Really, you are better off just leaving the system as is, better to have a working slower laptop than a broken one you tried to make faster because something messed up as you were working on it.

Best upgrade you can do is replace your hard drive for a solid state one if you don't have one already, and get 8 GB of RAM if you have 4.

Unless you can find an example of someone swapping the CPU and confirm that it's working, you just need to try it and see if it works. That is the issue with swapping out CPUs on a laptop, the motherboard design is not very standard and a CPU that fits in the socket may not boot.

Solution

robert600

Distinguished
what processor do you have now ... the i3 2350M?

If so, I think you'd be ok with an i5 2540M - it turbos to 3.3 Ghz so you'd notice a difference ... $25 on ebay (actually there is one up for auction - i think $18 would win it.)

Oct 12, 2018

Did u try it ?,

Status
Not open for further replies.