i7 5500u getting 100 degrees celsius hot!

Feb 16, 2018
Hey,

I've been playing modded kerbal space program on my laptop with few graphical mods. My gpu bottlenecks my cpu all the time so the cpu is running at around 70% having it work at this level for an extended period of time made my cpu average a temperature of 100 Celcius all the time! According to the MSI Afterburner temperature records... Would this temperature break my cpu? It throttles down to 1.30 Ghz (which i am thankful of) which is only about 40% of maximum speed. I am not doing any overclocks and having my laptop on an firm wood surface. Any tricks for reducing temperature maybe? Must i do a dust clean its an HP Pavilion 17 i have and they are notorious for being a pain in the bum to clean out the fan.

Moreover my GPU runs always at 100% when playing games and this only reaches about 85 degrees over longer times, is it normal that the cpu outputs so much more heat than the GPU?

Here are my specs:
Gt 840m
i7 5500u
8GB ddr3 1600Mhz
1TB SSHD

Solution
I think it's time to apply some very high quality thermal paste to both processors. I would also run a vacuum cleaner close to the fan outlets.
Feb 16, 2018

Hey again,

I was not exactly benchmarking the PC of course if i ran MSI Kombustor i think my pc would even kombust, i turned of the mods and the cpu is now running at 50% at 80 to 99 (at spikes) degrees this is still a bit more on the high side isn't it? I've read many places stating that 85 degrees is a normal temperature for laptops though.

The temperature in the room may be something like 18-25 celsius i dont live in a very hot place. I dont know if the temperature readings on MSI afterburner are incorrect since the gpu is so much cooler and runs much more intensivly.

Regards.

Feb 16, 2018

Hey,

I may aswell try that when i've got time and watched some videos to open up my computer i saw on a video were someone was opening an Pavilion 15 (alike mine but different model) and he had to unscrew off the motherboard and everything to get to the fan.

Regards.

Feb 16, 2018

Hey again,

I have to try anyways if i don't my laptop might break as you said. I better get to it i'm just gonna study all the videos unscrewing an Pavilion series laptop, and film a video for memorizing everything when i screw together again

Thanks for help!
Regards.

TRENDING THREADS