IBM Masking Technology Hides Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
So...I guess they build it into the display device? Or it is placed over the display device like a glare filter?

Sounds promising if it can keep up. i.e. I wonder if just scrolling really fast and hitting print screen a bunch would get you what you wanted...

yao

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom] I wonder if just scrolling really fast and hitting print screen a bunch would get you what you wanted...[/citation]
I thought the same. I don't think it really works. there are easily many ways to bypass that.

dravis12

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]So...I guess they build it into the display device? Or it is placed over the display device like a glare filter?[/citation]

Its software, not a physical filter. It must process the image before it is sent to the monitor, thus I doubt print screen would be any help.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Of course, when it comes out, people will be trying, capturing and posting screen shots of what the software missed and then posting them on Failblog or something... ;)

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Did they build in a meta-tag set that can allow a user who is privy to the information to mask lines manually, thus ensuring this document has security guarenteed and not inferred? Maybe have some AI coded so such a function can help the system self-improve.

This software might allow companies to compromise while streamlining their networks and just have everything in the public domain. Sounds like a great temptation for hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.