IBM Thinkpad T30 won't boot

Chazfem

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I've got an old IBM Thinkpad T30. It's a Pentium 4 with 1 stick of 512mb ram. When I turn it on all the lights flash green for a couple of seconds apart from the ultrabay light (first in the row). Then only the battery light and the power light stays on (orange and green respectively) but it won't boot up, just a blank screen. It doesn't even make it to the IBM logo so I can go into the bios. I can hear the fan working and I can hear a harddrive clicking when I first turn it on.

I have tried taking out the battery and just using the AC adapter, i have tried using just the battery. I have reseated the RAM and tried both slots. I have reseated the harddrive. I have tried booting from a live CD and a live USB stick. I have tried removing the wireless card as i heard a bad one would prevent a successful boot. Still nothing.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I could try next? Or does it just sound like a bad motherboard? I don't really want to spend any money on it although it would be nice to see it up and running again. Am I due a trip to the local dump?

EDIT Forgot to mention I also tried holing the power button for 7 seconds with both the battery and AC adapter out. Also pushing the power button 10 times then holding for 30 seconds. Not sure what this does but it was a suggestion I came across so I thought i'd try it.

awesomedude911

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Maybe your hard drive is bad, maybe you got a virus. What did you do before this happened? If you have another computer I would try using its hard drive. If you get any flashing or beep codes then I would look them up.

Chazfem

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Nothing I can think of. It just wouldn't turn on one day. I thought of the harddrive being bad but wouldnt a live CD/USB work if that was the problem? That's why I tried them anyway. No flashing or beep codes that I can tell. Just what I described earlier, they all go on for a second or two (apart from ultrabay light) then just the power and battery lights stay on.

Thanks for your reply.