Identifying loud whirring

Mac247

Commendable
May 3, 2016
So I have a HP Notebook. It's pretty terrible, particularly because the casing for it is too thin. This means that when I pick it up I have to be careful to only grab the edges as otherwise the flimsy case bends and knocks the fan(I assume) causing it to be very loud the next time I go to use it. Sometimes I forget though and grab too far from the edge but it always resolves itself, with the occasional precision slap to the casing(I know this probably isn't a bright idea but it worked). However on the weekend I picked it up and caused the loud whirring again but this time I couldn't get it to stop.

I finally got around to taking it apart today, took the fan out, gave it a dust and the fan itself looked fine. Having put everything back together though, the noise is back again, although the fan seems to be working better as the laptop isn't getting too hot.

I'm pretty sure it is the fan causing the problem as the sound seems to be emanating from the area it sits in the laptop, however I am a bit worried it might be the hard drive. Are there any signs I should be looking for to identify whether it's the fan or hard drive? Also, any advice on how to solve this? The there isn't any dents in the back casing and looks flat to the eye but I wonder if the fan is damaged or if it needs some lubricant, even though it looked okay.

Thanks for your help. This site has helped me out a few times in the past when I've been troubleshooting through Google.

Mac247

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I've had another look today and it's definitely the fan. Did a closer inspection, and there is slight noise when I take the fan out and get it whirring with a hoover. When I put it back in the case and get it going it's reverberating and making it a lot louder than when it's just sat in my hand. I guess it has to be either the blades catching or the bearings needing some oil but I don't think I can take it apart without breaking it permanently.

I've resolved to buy a new fan but I'd prefer not to buy the same one again if possible. It's an sps-753894-001, would that be fairly easy to replace it with something different or is it best just to go for the same again?