esghalis

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hi,

The organization i work for are planning on rolling out IE8 to the business to replace IE7. However, before we do this, I want to ensure all things are taken in to consideration before the rollout and tested thoroughly. I can think of a number of things that will need to be tested but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what we should consider before the rollout?

Many thanks in advance.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Well, why are you going to IE8 when IE9 has been out for some time and IE10 is in public beta?

I'd tell your company they really need to grasp the importance of being UP TO DATE.

By the time you "test everything" for IE8 IE10 will be out and you'll be 2 generations of functionality and security behind.

nhasian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
the most important thing to test is your in house custom software and to make sure it works with IE8. A lot of time the home grown software requires IE to render content in their windows.

esghalis

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hi Wombat,

Thanks for your response. Sorry i should've mentioned that we are deploying to an XP environment, hence why we're not considering IE9.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Without knowing what your timetable is for deployment have The Powers That Be considered support for XP ends in April, 2014? You are 19 months away from MS pulling the plug and offering no further support, and depending on your sector, you are in for a compliance nightmare. It doesn't really make sense to develop a solution and pursue a plan that you will be FORCED to abandon and redevelop almost the day you deploy it.

I know you're probably not the person who actually makes the decisions and are probably just the poor sap left to clean up the mess, and all these arguments have already been made and rejected.