IE8: Your Behavior Made It Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainObvious

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
And... it's slow as syrup in Antarctica.
I switched back to IE7, and will wait until the speed issue has been dealt with.
Another rushed MS product...

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
The point here is: While IE might never truly be competitive with Firefox, this is a bit of a window into the company's efforts (hey, they're trying). MSFT can put its resources behind quality assurance/focus groups/testing if it wants to, and perhaps the result will be an improved product for the core users that will stick to IE because it comes pre-installed on their machines.

G

The best feature of internet explorer is... "The Not Using It" feature.

Coilz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
The Favorites bar needs a lot of work, I can't even drag/edit stuff directly and instead need to enter another menu just to customize it. They should take the firefox route, and make a proper bookmarks/favorite feature. Other than that it's a pretty decent browser and I enjoy it much more than any other IE so far.

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Microsoft is stupid like hell! I've always been a fan of their good products and IE is certainly not one of them, if you save a page, Stupid IE re downloads all components, whats more, if you have other tabs active in that window, you cant access them until the save is complete! try saving pages on a slow connection and you feel what I feel!
I never really use IE but downloaded it just to see whether they fixed it...
sorry they haven't

G

@coilz
You can drag items on the Favorites bar in IE 8 by clicking, dragging with the mouse button held and then dropping - just make sure you drop them between two buttons rather than on top of one, so when you see the I bar rather than the warning circle. Click the >> mark and you can drag buttons that are on the overflow menu too.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
IE8 is the first microsoft browser i have used since FF1.5 came out,
for me its faster than FF3. FF is more functional, but I prefer speed.

I hope hope FF3.1 kicks some serious but.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
"While IE might never truly be competitive with Firefox"

So I guess Winning over market share by a very large margin isnt competitive enough for you?

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
IE 8 is faster than IE 7 in all cases, except where it counts: in opening new tabs (effectively starting a new IE process, and all attached ActiveX modules with it). This is a known design deficience that Google worked around in Chrome by using Webkit (arguably the lightest and fastest HTML/CSS parsing and rendering engine out there), and that Firefox and IE 7 don't encounter because all tabs are kept inside the same process.

However, I personally stay with Firefox for several reasons: it's actually pretty hard to go and crash it on purpose, and when that DOES happen, Firefox's session restore has until now never failed me (right down to lengthy texts typed in a textbox being restored to the last character) - so, tab isolation isn't that useful for me.

Next, although IE 8 comes with vastly improved developer tools (from a meaningless Jscript error message box to a Firebug clone), Firefox still comes with better developer tools.

Then, Firefox doesn't focus on this or that trendy piece of code's acceleration (IE 8 focused on rendering the 20 most used websites fast), but on all of them.

Last, and that's probably what counts most for me, Firefox runs on all my machines natively: be it Windows 2000 to Seven, or Mac OS X or GNU/Linux, I can take my Firefox profile and port it from one machine to the next. On the other hand, taking an IE 8 'profile' and porting it to a Windows 2000 machine doesn't work (no IE 8 on Windows 2000), moving it from an XP machine to a Vista one is bound to create bugs, and moving off-Windows is a no-go.

jkeelsnc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
IE8. What a crock! I downloaded and installed it last week. LOL The first time I loaded it it crashed and then when I killed it from the task manager it automatically restarted itself without asking me. Then it crashed again. Forget it, IE8 can go to hell. LOL It is a huge joke. IE7 was crap but IE8 only makes it worse. What was M$ thinking?

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]"While IE might never truly be competitive with Firefox"So I guess Winning over market share by a very large margin isnt competitive enough for you?[/citation]
ROFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS