IE9 Not Gaining Marketshare, Trouble Ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
If only they would make it compatible with XP, I would use it. Although slightly unstable, FF is much faster than IE8.

G

I don't think the update is being pushed hard enough. Windows and popular sites need to give users a reason to use IE9. If we keep bending over backwards to support browsers like IE7 we just encourage people to never update.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Plz for the love of god. Do not include XP support. Its long past its useful life in the consumer market. You want support for Win2K while you are at it?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
thats because ie8 works

i went to try ie9 x64 and it just kept crashing

im sorry but browsers have compatability modes and it shouldnt crash, if its not compatable with sites i freqently use i will give it a miss

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
shanky887614- Yeah I had to turn compatibility mode on with Tom's to post comments, anyway I think the reason IE9 isn't doing so well is because long ago MSFT lost techies after sub-par versions of Internet Explorer. For most techies who actually care about what browser they use they have long forgotten about IE and simply gone to Chrome land. Another reason why I think IE9 is lagging behind is because it's not like IE8 which was simply released with the OS- it's something you actually have to want to get. Look at IE6 and IE7 which were released with XP and Vista respectively- the reason they are still around and (unfortunately) thriving is because the average Joe who bought his computer simply used the browser included. When Windows 8 comes out (which will probably include either IE9 or IE10) we will probably see a jump in either of those browsers. MSFT is simply hearding the comsumer base along...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I would think the reason is obvious... the only people who use IE are also ignorant of which browser they SHOULD be using (or rather, which one they should NOT be using), and therefore could care less if they updated. Nobody like that is going to actively seek out a new version.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Sadly, Opera would probably be happy with 3% market share. Not sure why it doesn't catch on. The latest Opera 11 even ships with a user script that blocks just about every Ad out there. Guess they need a better PR firm like Mozilla.

ben BOys

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
IE9 is an alright browser. but just alright. Firefox 4 for me was simply terrible compared to how amazing fire fox 3 was. It does nothing new and whatever it can do chrome could do 2 years ago. Thats why chromes my choice. very simple, but can get very complex with the extensions and has a nice UI and great little features like the tab screen and sync.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]I would think the reason is obvious... the only people who use IE are also ignorant of which browser they SHOULD be using (or rather, which one they should NOT be using), and therefore could care less if they updated. Nobody like that is going to actively seek out a new version.[/citation]

This, combined with elitist computer hipsters using "alternate browsers" because IE sucks, crapping all over it before they've even used it.

The only issue i've had with IE9 have been on computers that aren't fresh installs, and all two of them can be fixed by unticking GPU rendering.

I am, however, posting this in firefox because toms can't get their act straight and for some reason IE can't post on toms, This is a Toms issue, not an IE issue.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]This, combined with elitist computer hipsters using "alternate browsers" because IE sucks, crapping all over it before they've even used it.The only issue i've had with IE9 have been on computers that aren't fresh installs, and all two of them can be fixed by unticking GPU rendering.I am, however, posting this in firefox because toms can't get their act straight and for some reason IE can't post on toms, This is a Toms issue, not an IE issue.[/citation]

I would imagine that the most new browsers are not computers that aren't fresh installs, so that is kind of limiting if that is what is needed to get a new browser to work correctly!

oldbluekid

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]This, combined with elitist computer hipsters using "alternate browsers" because IE sucks, crapping all over it before they've even used it.The only issue i've had with IE9 have been on computers that aren't fresh installs, and all two of them can be fixed by unticking GPU rendering.I am, however, posting this in firefox because toms can't get their act straight and for some reason IE can't post on toms, This is a Toms issue, not an IE issue.[/citation]
How do you know it's a toms issue? Can you PROVE that?

G

I', trying to debug an IE9 issue right now - check out the post for details. IE9 is good, but I prefer Chrome myself.
http://loklomedia.com/blog/2011/04/internet-explorer-9-partial-pixels-box-model-css-problem/

G

You have users who are stuck with a familiar browser like IE6 or you are cutting edge and prefer Firefox or Chrome. In fact even Firefox is only getting upgrades from current users. Not many new ones. Chrome seems to be the only browser actually gaining users. Another point about IE 9 is that Enterprise is still hanging on to XP so IE 6 and IE 7 is their browser of choice. Until Microsoft can get more Enterprise to move to Windows 7. IE 6 will hang on.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]jackfrost860[/nom]I would imagine that the most new browsers are not computers that aren't fresh installs, so that is kind of limiting if that is what is needed to get a new browser to work correctly![/citation]
Even though IE Continuously tries to buck the trend of open web standards

Status
Not open for further replies.