Solved! In the long run, which Macbook would perform consistently?

technicko

Prominent
Nov 9, 2020
Years ago, I bought a late 2013 iMac. A few years later, I bought an early 2015 Macbook Air.

I found that the Macbook Air quickly performed worse than the iMac, as the startup time and processing time was far more unbearable.

The Geekbench Score I ran for the iMac earlier this year was 777 - 2559 (Single-core to Multi-core).

For the Macbook Air, it was 430-675.

What the heck is going on?

So my main concern/question is: in the future, if my choices were a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro... which of these Macbook will quickly underperform like a PC installed with too many software for its specs?

Thanks,
tN

technicko

Prominent
Nov 9, 2020
Thanks. But OTH, MacBook Pro is overkill for me (I think, even if it is compared to an iMac, yes?)

I'm also thinking about using a MacBook as my go-to main computer, at home or travel. If I had a MacBook on a vertical stand connected to a flatscreen monitor, would that be a overkill (as far as heat dissipation and hard drive wear) if I were to double a MacBook as a desktop?

I'm trying to figure out how I can maximize performance and longevity while saving money. (I.e. MacBook Pro/Air, or MacBook Air + iMac).

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Thanks. But OTH, MacBook Pro is overkill for me (I think, even if it is compared to an iMac, yes?)

You'll be fine with an Air, provided you are considering a new one with M1 and 16GB of RAM. It's miles ahead of your 2015 Air experience.

I'm also thinking about using a MacBook as my go-to main computer, at home or travel. If I had a MacBook on a vertical stand connected to a flatscreen monitor, would that be a overkill (as far as heat dissipation and hard drive wear) if I were to double a MacBook as a desktop?

It'll be fine. I've used an Air for years as a desktop and eventually moved to a Pro. Heat dissipation isn't much to worry about, Apple didn't care about it lol. The new Airs don't even have fans. Keep in mind though, the new Air only has two thunderbolt ports so you're going to be living that dongle life using it as a desktop.

Reactions: technicko
Oct 24, 2021
The reason your Air was worse than your iMac is because the Air was made for efficiency so even though it's newer it still has a weaker processor. The iMac doesn't have to worry about battery and it has better cooling capabilities.

If you were good with a 2013 iMac and a 2015 Air before, the new Air will be great. It has the same processor as the 13" M1 MacBook Pro (2020), it just doesn't have a cooling fan so if you do anything really heavy on it it's going to thermal throttle sooner. But that shouldn't effect day-to-day use.

Also, if you get a good Thunderbolt dock you only need to plug one cable in to the laptop to do everything, including charging. When traveling it can be annoying having to carry dongles around, but at home Thunderbolt is great.

Also, the Air doesn't have the silly touchbar, so that's a bonus.