INCREASE SHARED MEMORY GPU (HP ENVY M6)

feoieno

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hey guys,
i just bought a HP ENVY m6 (A10 WITH 7660G)
I am pretty happy with this laptop, but i wonder if i can INCREASE the GPU shared memory.
The laptop comes with 6GB DDR3 RAM and now its only 5.5GB avaliable (512MB FOR THE GPU). SO... i want to increase that value :bounce:
Well ive heard that other laptops can increase or decrease the shared memory, but i didnt find any post or someone trying to do that with the same laptop as me.
TEACH ME !!! hahahaha.
thanks

cl-scott

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
This would be in the BIOS settings. The "Press <button> to enter setup" at the very beginning of the boot process. Somewhere in there, it's different for every laptop so afraid you'll have to do some exploring on your own, will be a setting for adjusting the amount of RAM dedicated to the video. Change it, save the settings, your computer reboots, and you're done.

feoieno

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

ive already entered BIOS, theres absolutely NOTHING there. just controls for the boot priority.
i dont know what to do, and im really disappointed with this missing feature of the bios.
So theres no way to increase the shared memory??

Hi :)

You could always ask HP....

All the best Brett :)

jkhoward

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

If the options does not exist in the BIOS it is not possible. It may be possible that HP has plans to introduce this in the future but I highly doubt. I also have a similar laptop with that chip and have not had any issues with it in most games. If you are lucky maybe someone made a cracked BIOS? I wouldn't try it though... :non:

Joaquin408

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
So I have seen a lot of wrong answers for this question online. I have a similar laptop the HP Envy M6 FX800p, Radeon r7 with 6GB of RAM. Everyone seems to have same problem on enough VRAM. If you are running Photoshop you need at least 512mb of VRAM to do 3D editing, but the HP Envy has only 384mb, with no options in the BIOS to change the amount. The reason is your VRAM on this computer is tied to the physical RAM installed in your computer. The more RAM (DDR3) you have the more VRAM you will have. In my case, I took out the 2GB chip and replaced with a 8GB DDR3 memory. The change increased my total VRAM to 512mb, which is what I needed to fully run Photoshop.

I hope this helps.

kyle_123

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

that is incorrect .. i have a M6 k022dx (hp envy touchsmart 15) it factory has 6gb DDR3 (5.2gb usable) amd a1 5745 . . it by default has 712mb vram .. i spent $140 and bought 16GB of Patriot DDR3 ram installed it and now i am running 16GB DDR 3 (15.2 usable) and 712mb of ram .... this is bullcrap iwill never purchase an hp again due to them modifying and trying tun their own bios .. basically ruining there PC's when they start to get older .. HP is junk . never again