Indoor event photography advice

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi

I have been asked by a friend who sorts out events for charties if I would like to be part of the photography team for the event as he knows of my hobby of photography.

I have a 450D and the event is noon-10pm. My camera will do fine till 7pm but after we move indoors for the dub I'm worried my cam won't hold up.

This could be a big opportunity for me to get my foot in the door of the photography world.

If I need a better cam I can go exchange mine for any of the cams from 500D till up to the 7D budget wise.

Any advice?

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I currently have three lenses:
Canon 50mm 1.8 STM
Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro

Most likely gonna have to go 1.8 or 2.8 most occasions with iso 400-800. I don't event want to touch 1600 really but light room should be able to remove some of the grain from the high iso images.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
What sort of focal length should i be using for indoor stuff as i have a crop sensor so my 50mm has the field of few of 75mm, would my 18-55 be better. I prefer my STM as its sharper and lets in way more light but things can get a bit tight some time.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Go to a venue with similar lighting, distance, and movement.
Take all your lenses.
Take lots of pics.
Evaluate.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Well i'm getting there early so i can do that.

I will be keeping track of what light balance to use as the sun will be moving in and out of clouds but also i will have to work with tungsten and fluorescent light when i'm indoors.

Maybe i will try and go to the Camera Company store in Manchester and ask about an attachable flash, one i can direct toward my subject or in another directions so to bounce the light round the room but only on white walls.

Also i will be bringing my mono-pod just in case.