Infinite new tabs open faster than I can close them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2018
HI, Recently I've had a problem in Firefox. Sometimes when I click on a link, rather than this opening in a new tab, 'zillions' of new tabs open, one after the other & faster than I can close them.
Initial I found that closing the window stopped the problem and I could carry on using my PC. I had to avoid the link in question though as clicking on resulted in the same problem.
Today I found closing the window didn't solve the problem as the system would just open a new window so it could continue satisfying its seemingly never ending desire for new tabs.
I haven't been able to work out if clicking on certain types of links sets it off.
Also, I haven't been able to see exactly what it's trying to open in the new tabs as I'm unable to do anything else as the opening of new tabs seems to take priority. I can't even start Task Manager. Not that I'd understand it if I could!
The first bit of the address on every new tab seems to be C:///users
I'm on Windows 7 professional.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS. Have I come to the wrong section? There's no PC category.

Solution
Bitdefender, nor any other antivirus or antimalware program, are not always capable of catching every vulnerability or infection out there. Often infections and malware spread and are released, in new forms, faster than protections against them can be devised and some simply bypass protections altogether. Paying attention to not go places that are probably a bad idea, such as torrent or pRon sites, or opening emails from unknown sources, are a good way to self protect in addition to a good malware scanner THAT IS RELIGIOUSLY KEPT UP TO DATE.

If it is not 100% kept up to date, it is useless.

Run Malwarebytes free version scan. Run Rogue killer free version scan. Run TDSS killer free version scan. Run Windows Defender built in Windows...
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks for your reply. (I didn't see an option for me to reply to your response/solution, apart from direct messaging which seems slightly strange for a social forum, so I now appear to be suggesting a solution to 'my' problem. Which I'm not. Obviously.)

I will try the solutions you suggest although I was hoping I was protected from viruses as Bitdefender is active.
Should I still do as you suggest even though Bitdefender is running?

Bitdefender, nor any other antivirus or antimalware program, are not always capable of catching every vulnerability or infection out there. Often infections and malware spread and are released, in new forms, faster than protections against them can be devised and some simply bypass protections altogether. Paying attention to not go places that are probably a bad idea, such as torrent or pRon sites, or opening emails from unknown sources, are a good way to self protect in addition to a good malware scanner THAT IS RELIGIOUSLY KEPT UP TO DATE.

If it is not 100% kept up to date, it is useless.

Run Malwarebytes free version scan. Run Rogue killer free version scan. Run TDSS killer free version scan. Run Windows Defender built in Windows antivirus scan. If none of them pick up anything, then it's not likely to be an infection and we can go forward from there.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.