Installing AMD Display Driver crashes my laptop and Black screen boot.

nikitaluger

Estimable
Jul 12, 2015
I need help with my laptop.

My laptop for some reason BSOD before I shut it down and when I boot it normally all I get is a black screen after the boot logo disappears. The only way I can access my desktop is via Safe Mode. I dug around a bit and found out that the culprit is my R9 M265X (or AMD Venus Pro M2 AKA 8850M). I tried different versions of the Catalyst driver but each time the installation reaches the part where it will install the AMD Display Driver... my laptop freezes and I have no choice but to hard reset and then again I get a black screen on boot.

All other components on the laptop works even after installing their drivers including the iGPU (intel HD 4600). The laptop works perfectly if I don't install and AMD drivers but now I can't play games anymore.

I tried to go back to a good restore point, reformat, even installing the windows 10 preview and the same thing happens... my laptop will crash the moment it will install a driver for my AMD GPU...

I want to post a crash report log but I don't know how and I am not even sure if it will generate one...

can someone please help me and try and fix the laptop because the usual fixes don't work and I fear that the dGPU somehow died...

Specs: http://www.jarir.com/computers-peripherals/443343-laptops-satellite-p50-b1468-toshiba.html

Toshiba Satellite P50-B1468
Intel Core i5-4200H
Intel HD Graphics 4600
AMD Venus Pro M2/R9 265X/HD 8850M
Windows 8.1 Single Language 64bit

Solution

nikitaluger

Estimable
Jul 12, 2015

I also did a fresh install using only the drivers that toshiba gave on their website but it still does not work. I'm currently running the laptop everything installed properly both hardware and drivers except for the AMD GPU

magnas93

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
When you hard restart your computer, on blanking of screen, do you see a BSOD on restart? Also , if you do see a BSOD , press f8 when you start your pc, and disable auto restart on system failure, that way you would be able to get the BSOD hardware message. Also i think when the blank screen appears, there is a cursor blinking ?

Indifference_1

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Im having the same issue but with my laptop and the 7670m/a8 5550m apu whenever i try to install anything other than Microsoft basic display drivers. ive done a fresh install of windows 8.1 as 10 updates the drivers automaticly and cant get my laptop to work at all then. I get a message saying video tdr failure then a code but can't find a fix or if my on board gpu is dead and need to by another motherboard. Any help resolving this would be awesome and most probably help other people out.

Wayne_Enterprise CEO

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

I have the same problem also......did you find any solution to fix this? please let me know..thank you so much...

Solution

nikitaluger

Estimable
Jul 12, 2015
I'm sorry for not going back into this post for such a long time. I just want to inform you guys that the issue has been resolved. This is a basic explanation and how I understood as to what happened. The AMD GPU died which rendered it disabled I don't know how or why but if I have to guess the laptop was known to have defective GPUs which die when used heavily for prolonged periods of time (eg. playing GPU demanding games). I sent the laptop for repair under warranty and the service center told me that the whole motherboard was replaced with a new one. The GPU works and surprisingly does not overheat as much compared to the old one and is now stable. The laptop was surprisingly very cheap for the specs it had and if I have to speculate Toshiba might as well sell the units and hope for the best and handle the defects if it ever come to that.