Installing an m.2 ssd in an asus sp315-51

Jul 11, 2018
Hello, i've recently bought this ssd and was confused when the computer didnt recognise it. So I went searching and if I understand correctly this laptop only supports sata. I told myself alright i'll just return and buy one that works, but it turns out there is not alot of m-key 2280 sata ssd on the market.
TLDR:
The real question is: Can I actually use this ssd on my laptop if yes how and if not where can I find one that works.
Thank you.

Solution

On crucial.com it still lists your laptop as not supporting m.2, must be mistaken. From what I read, that drive I linked should work. Yes, B&M key m.2 should fit in your m-key slot. On this forum, someone discussed getting a crucial mx300 and it working, so this drive will definitely work. Someone else also claimed the intel 600p didn't work, I believe this is only because...

Toxic_Cobra

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
No, you can't use that NVMe drive in a standard m.2 socket.

any standard m.2 2280 should work, just make sure it's not NVMe. this should work.

He linked it, he got a corsair mp500 120gb nvme ssd.

update: I tried checking your laptop compatibility but there seems to be only acer sp315-51 laptops, not asus, and that laptop doesn't even take a m.2 ssd. Care to elaborate on what laptop you have? thanks.

rgd1101

Don't

thanks, didn't see the link.

Jul 11, 2018
Yea sorry my mistake its an acer same model number sp315-51-548w 8gbram with 1tbhdd

Toxic_Cobra said:
No, you can't use that NVMe drive in a standard m.2 socket.

any standard m.2 2280 should work, just make sure it's not NVMe. this should work.
The ssd you sent is a B&M key, can it fit into an M-key slot? This was generally the roadblock.

Toxic_Cobra

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016

On crucial.com it still lists your laptop as not supporting m.2, must be mistaken. From what I read, that drive I linked should work. Yes, B&M key m.2 should fit in your m-key slot. On this forum, someone discussed getting a crucial mx300 and it working, so this drive will definitely work. Someone else also claimed the intel 600p didn't work, I believe this is only because it's NVMe though (like the drive you bought)
pictures from the forum

Solution
Jul 11, 2018
Thank you Toxic_Cobra, ended up buying an ADATA m.2 sata ssd part#SU800 as it was the only one found at my local shop works just as originally intended.