Installing Ubuntu Problems

77Slumber77

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
I am trying to install Ubuntu but when i get to determining what root drive i am putting it on it tells me. "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu." When i click "Change" to switch it Ubuntu locks up on me and i can't do anything. Is there a way to fix this or bypass it?

77Slumber77

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

Its not the problem with windows when i try to install to ubuntu it doesnt allow me to change the root it will just lock up on me and i am wondering why.

77Slumber77

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

This is a whole different problem during the installation one of the proccesses asks you to choose a root point but when i try to add or change one it locks up and then closes installation

77Slumber77

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014

So if windows is the OS that i formatted it with do i have to partition a portion so i can put ubuntu on it?

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Are you setting up a dual boot?
yes. if you created the partition in windows Ubuntu will have to reformat it but in the partition menu you have to flag the partition you wish to use with /, this tells Ubuntu where to install. Else you just go to gparted in the live Ubuntu or windows and delete the partition you created and leave it blank. Now when you run the installer choose side by side with windows and Ubuntu will do everything for you and install to the employ space.

Xfiles63

Estimable
Mar 25, 2014
I just installed ubunto yesterday on one of my older computers just to play around with.Its an older version 8. something.Anyways the install went perfect but Im locked out.I made a username and password during the installation but when I go to log in its tell incorrect password.Now I know I didnt fotget the password.I have read this is a common problem with many linux distros.Had to get past this on ubunto?
Also how to I change the resolution of the desktop,everything is so small even with my glasses I cant see whats on it?
Thanks Aaron