Intel Completes Acquisition of McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Memoscorp[/nom]Doesn't McAfee suck?[/citation]

Yup, I do believe that is the general consensus.

Hopefully it would be Intel influencing McAfee and not the other way around...

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]backin5[/nom]Yup, I do believe that is the general consensus.Hopefully it would be Intel influencing McAfee and not the other way around...[/citation]
I used to think that way too, though a friend used to think it was amazing. To be honest, it's comparable to Avast and Avira, in which those two antiviruses are awesome.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What's really funny is 2 months before this all went down, every computer at Intel was shut down for a little over a day due to a McAfee bug. They basically shut down our company and cost us millions.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Why is Intel buying up anti-virus companies? First AVG and now MacAfee have they bought any more that I don’t know about? They have probably also got large stakes in other anti-virus companies as well. This is like a game of Monopoly. It is a shame for Intel that Microsoft give away free a very capable anti-virus program.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Depends. their desktop ver is horrible. but they dont have any care for the desktop. where they make $$ is on their server software, where they do have good and highly competitave programs.

Cant remember off the top of my head, but they have like 30 some programs and only 2 of those programs are for the desktop.

This is long over due for a chip maker to add more security in. and this will greatly hurt AMD, VIA and many ARM makers in the future until they make their own security standards.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Man... remember when people use to pay for antivirus? Last I checked you really don't need antivirus if you have a decent firewall, keep your OS up to date, and don't click on things you ought not to. And now there is Microsoft Security Essentials, which while not perfect, doesn't have much of any performance impact, catches almost anything that for-pay AV will catch, and is FREE!
I do understand the need for added security on servers, and things which attract more attention from thieves, but for the average home user I find that if they are determined to catch a virus through some smutty site, not amount of AV will save them.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
MC Afee enterprice is quite strong sadly and for homeusers... not so much! I never liked their software, eats to much resources to get the job done but its easy to manage, bet thats why many lazy it staffers around the globe like their solution - Lost productivity over the whole company dont seem to matter to them because they get it a tad easier!

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Memoscorp[/nom]Doesn't McAfee suck?[/citation]
McAfee is the only product that caters to enterprise needs. It's not perfect, but it provides a host intrusion protection, memory protection, software protection, software lock down and more, all centraly managed.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I just finished cleaning several infections off of my father's PC. He normally runs McAfee, which didn't find anything. I ran an offline scan on his HDD using MSE and that's how those were found.

So what does McAfee have that other - cheaper ($7.68B?!?)- AV companies don't, and Intel wants? My guess... they have a way to make AMD processors run comparatively slower. Couple that with the bloatware distribution common to McAfee ("free 60 day trial!"), and Intel gets quite a tactical advantage over the green team.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Mcafee? Good for enterprises? LOLOLOLOLOL

We had it, and dumped it, it was nothing but a steaming pile of... Well, you know.

ESET has a really nice enterprise console and works much better, imho.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Just a thought Intel buys the slowest anti-virus programs that it can with a large market share (I predict Norton will be next for acquisition) then makes them even slower if possible, making people want to buy faster processors to run them. Intel wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.