Question Intel HD Graphics 630 might be dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2019
My laptop is an FX553VE(similar to the rog GL553VE) and i think the intel graphics is dead. I've been reinstalling and uninstalling drivers for my intel graphics from Intel and also from the Asus support page but i always get a black screen whenever i boot into windows before logging in while laptop is still on, no cursor. I have to enter in safe mode just to delete the driver and revert back to Microsoft display adapter then black screen would be gone when i boot back to windows. Already made a Windows reset but i think i have to do a clean windows install but i doubt it if it might work. Everytime i update the or enable the drivers, i get a black screen. Black screen started when i was playing Overcooked 2 hooked up to a tv via hdmi and got bsod then has been black screen ever since. Appreciate any help and feedback thanks

asus support page

similar issue
https://forums.intel.com/s/question...installation-and-intel-graphics-problems-help

Specs:
i7-7700HQ
8GB Ram
GTX 1050ti

If it works in "Safe Mode" then the integrated graphics are likely fine. However if you have a secondary GPU (which most do) then that is likely the one with the problem. In the dase of yours it is likely the Nvidia that is the problem.

Did you try replacing the drivers for that?

rico57

Great
Aug 27, 2019
hi
you can try an other OS like live Linux
it does not affect your files
have you ever checked your temperatures ?
any cleaning done /repasting
may be too late thought
you should also use a usb cooler

rico57

Great
Aug 27, 2019
of course this is what caused it:
high temperature damaged the GPU ship .
Cooling it or cleaning would have helped

and so far, the only choice will probably be to change the motherboard,
or disable the Nvidia and use the laptop for anything but games.

Aug 27, 2019
If it works in "Safe Mode" then the integrated graphics are likely fine. However if you have a secondary GPU (which most do) then that is likely the one with the problem. In the dase of yours it is likely the Nvidia that is the problem.

Did you try replacing the drivers for that?

Tried replacing drivers for Nvidia as well, but i'm sure that the intel graphics is most likely the issue. Everytime i enable the drivers it causes a black screen in Windows so i have it disabled or reverted back to Microsoft display adapter.

OK if it is working, with older drivers, then that isn't the graphics card itself either.

There seems to be a bit of miscommunication here. Let me ask this. When you are updating the drivers, are they ones the computer is recommending, or ones you have just found online that are newer? If it is the latter, then they may not be compatible with your computer.

And rico57, that would cause a GPU to be damaged and no longer work, sure, but not be working some of the time (with certain drivers) and not other times (with other drivers). That would not be a heating issue.

Additionally, if the integrated graphics were totally dead, it wouldn't work even in "Safe Mode" as that is what is used in there.

Sep 9, 2019
I'm dealing with the same problem, whenever i install intel hd 630 drivers the screen turns black. I have to enter safe mode and uninstall the driver.

Did you find a solution?

May 15, 2021
Guys i also have the same problem here
it's a hybrid GPU one side intel HD graphics 630
other one is NVIDIA

same problem as soon as the driver for intel is working you get black screen whichever driver is installed doesn't matter,
i use the nvidia gpu now as standard screen other one is windows display adapter the zoomed one,

i also always used a usb cooler that didnt help i also changed the paste every 3/4 month's didn't help i think its dead,

does someone got an idea if its possible to buy the GPU and solder it? or did someone try baking it?

hope to find some answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.