Aug 8, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some insight
SPECS
Lenovo Y50-70
Intel i7-4720HQ (2.6 GHz) - (3.6GHz) quad core
Nvidia GTX 860M
16GB RAM

I have had the laptop for about a year and while playing games for 1 hour the core temp on cores 0 and 1 would reach upward of 90C-97C. I was confused and decided to put a small book under the laptop to raise the back end as well as underclock to 2.5GHz. Can my cpu even reach 3.6GHz without overheating or is it just a marketing scheme?

Ever since I underclocked I do not get 60-20 fps drops but i wouldn't like to cripple my cpu to keep it from overheating. I checked with Intel Extreme Tuning and saw that i can raise the core clock to 3.6GHz but i didn't want my computer to turn to molten lava.

Solution
Are you using the standard equipment that came with it, or have you upgraded anything? I ask because adding hardware beyond the specs can lead to the problem you are having. Also, some hardware is just known for overheating.

You may wish to check what else is running at the time as well. even considering rebooting before you play. The less load the better.

Also, have you considered using a cooling pad?
Are you using the standard equipment that came with it, or have you upgraded anything? I ask because adding hardware beyond the specs can lead to the problem you are having. Also, some hardware is just known for overheating.

You may wish to check what else is running at the time as well. even considering rebooting before you play. The less load the better.

Also, have you considered using a cooling pad?

Solution