Hi everybody,
Presently i own a Samsung laptop which equipped with,
Intel HM65 Chipset,
Intel Pentium Processor,
a S-ATA II Hard Drive (5400RPM),
DDR3 System Memory at 1,333MHz,
and with Intel HD Graphics.
For your kind reference of product, NP300E5Z-A0TIN

I have come to know after some search on Intel HM65 chipset, it will support 2nd Generation of Intel Core processors (i3, i5, i7) and PCI express slot.

I want help from you people,
can i upgrade my laptop with any of Intel Core Processors, and any of Graphic card ??
If yes! Which could be the best one.!

Thanks in Advance.

Rragar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Laptops that come stock with integrated graphics can not normally accept dedicated graphics cards, unfortunately. In most cases, those that do come with dedicated graphics normally have them soldered to the motherboard somehow. The rest uses MXM slots to accomodate a variety of graphics cards, though this is normally reserved for mid and high end laptops. I know this is not what you wanted to hear (I know the feeling, I've been there once) but if your laptop had an MXM slot available, it would already include a dedicated graphics card.

As for the processor, the chipset itself is indeed compatible with the processors you mentioned. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the laptop comes with adequate BIOS support for these components. Your best bet would be to investigate and see if anyone has successfully managed to upgrade the processor on your laptop model, but I doubt it has been attempted (I checked and didn't find anything). I don't think the upgrade is worth attempting: you're likely to end up spending money on a brand new processor you won't be able to use, and then you'll have to see about selling it to get some of your investment back.

A Pentium processor is something I would have skipped, considering how old they are. If you don't mind me asking, what do you want to be able to do with your laptop? Depending on this, you may or may not need the upgrades. The particular model you have is intended for office use.

If you do need the upgrades, however, then I'm afraid you will have to acquire a new laptop. Most laptops aren't upgradeable, and those that are, offer varying degrees of upgradeability that don't match desktop-level upgradeability.

Nbmopidevi

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Thanks for your time to explain me such deeply :) .
I understand, i am wishing to make risky investment, though it is helpful if succeed.

coz i want to upgrade to core processor , so that i could use it for gaming and extra tasking 12hrs a day.
now itself it was being used for educational purpose only.

Rragar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

You're welcome.

If you want a gaming-capable laptop that would be powerful enough for playing games on high settings, then in most cases you're looking at a 1200+ USD investment, approximately. If your budget allows you to go higher, then by all means do.

I'd go for an i7 processor. You don't need the top of the line, something such as the 3610QM will be sufficient. Since gaming is your primary concern, then you want a powerful graphics card - I would start at the high-range (with something such as a 660m from NVidia) and go as high as the budget would allow. When it comes to games, the graphics card should be your first priority.

If such a system is beyond the budget, there's quite a few good deals out there. You could settle with an i5 processor and a mid-range graphics card, and that would be a significant price drop over the previous alternative.

Nbmopidevi

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Thank You Rragar :)
I will keep that in mind while choosing. but i would like to build a desktop killer rather laptop for gaming that's a another story ;).
for now i would like to upgrade my laptop(if possible) so that giving some strength to it to perform tasks in better and fast.
you are very helpful :) thank you.

Rragar

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
You could upgrade the RAM and the hard drives.

One possibility, would be to swap the hard drive for a faster one (either 7200 RPM or SSD). A Solid State Drive will represent a vast improvement in this regard, but will also be rather expensive. Both will, of course, grant you faster data read/write speeds, but will not improve data processing speeds.

You didn't mention how much RAM you have, but as long as you don't approach full capacity on a regular basis, you don't need to add more RAM.

These two upgrade possibilities are not necessarily needed in your case. Evaluate them, and decide for yourself.

Those are the only certain things you can do hardware-wise. Software-wise, disable unessential background tasks and keep your drivers up to date.

If you really, truly want to take your chances with the processor, then I'd get the cheapest 2nd gen laptop i5 I could find (they're around 200 USD), some thermal paste, and try to find a disassembly guide for your laptop. Like I said before, though, I would not recommend this.

Status
Not open for further replies.