intel (r) pentium (r) D CPU 2.80GHz how much ram can I install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2018
how much ram does intel (r) pentium (r) D CPU 2.80GHz support. I actually have only 2 gb and would like to increase to 4 gb

Solution
Depends on a) the motherboard you have, but especially b) whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. For 32-bit Windows, you're limited to 4GB (technically just under, but close enough). For 64-bit Windows, it depends on the exact version, but ranges from 128GB (W10 Home) to 512GB (All other W10 versions), as noted here (https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/how-much-ram-can-be-addressed-under-the-current-32-bit-and-64-bit-operating-systems/). Of course, you're generally only going to see motherboards that hit either of those limits on servers -- most ATX home motherboards top out around 32-64GB maximum with 4 RAM slots.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
Depends on a) the motherboard you have, but especially b) whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. For 32-bit Windows, you're limited to 4GB (technically just under, but close enough). For 64-bit Windows, it depends on the exact version, but ranges from 128GB (W10 Home) to 512GB (All other W10 versions), as noted here (https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/how-much-ram-can-be-addressed-under-the-current-32-bit-and-64-bit-operating-systems/). Of course, you're generally only going to see motherboards that hit either of those limits on servers -- most ATX home motherboards top out around 32-64GB maximum with 4 RAM slots.

Solution

King_V

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2014
I had a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz on a motherboard in a gaming oriented system that would only support 2GB of RAM, and a Pentium 4 2.8GHz in an office-targeted system that was on a motherboard that would support 4GB of RAM.

The Pentium D is from that same architecture family, if I'm not mistaken. It is important to find out what the motherboard manufacturer and model is.

Status
Not open for further replies.