IntelCore2 Duo or Athlon X2

Squeaky459

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
What is the best processor for movie making? I am purchasing a new computer and it must be able to create videos and play vidoes without lag time. I would prefer a laptop but I will buy a desktop it you feel it is better. Thanks.

What software will you be using? If it's multi-threaded a quad core CPU would be a good idea.
A desktop with its better quad core options will give you more processing power and also cost less.
What budget are you working with?

Squeaky459

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Thank you for replying so quickly. I will be using Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9. I am not a pro at this so I am looking for something less than $700. I will be using the computer for other things so as Microsoft Office, Photo editing, and of course the internet. The cheaper the better but I don't want to skimp on anything needed to make the video part of my work.l

Squeaky459

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Frozenlead,

Yes I have a desktop that I am thinking about replacing. It has a 19 inch screen and wireless keyboard and mouse. Thanks for your suggestion.

Squeaky459

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Frozenlead

Is there a particular brand that I should be considering that would have the specs I would need?

This is why you want to be looking at quad core CPUs.
20019.png

And in your budget range you'll get a bigger bang for your buck with a desktop PC.
Not that a dual core laptop won't run the program. If you're needing a laptop anyway, get the fastest dual core CPU you can squeeze into your budget.