Internet Extremely Slow - A Virus?

FusionVortex

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Over the past 2 days, my internet speed has decreased significantly. I used to have no issues with my ping and internet speed. Now, youtube and online games have been rendered on playable. When using the command prompt to ping websites, the average ping is about 400 ms, ranging anywhere from 250 ms up to 700 ms. My download speed has been reduced from it's normal ~125 kb/sec to 10kb/ sec.

This slow internet speed has not just infected this computer, but all computers in my network. I have tried reseating my modem and my router, but neither of these methods worked.

I scanned my computer using both MSE and Malewarebytes, but neither turned up anything. However, upon examining the detected items history in MSE, I discovered that a Trojan horse, JS/Krypterade.A, had been detected on my PC 24 hours ago. There was no warning of this last night; no notifications popped up. This Trojan horse is supposed to be ransomware, but my PC has never been locked up and money has never been solicited from me via fake threats. Yet, task manager is showing multiple dllhost.exe *32 processes (up to 10) that are consistent with this virus. Network iControl is showing that this dllhost.exe is taking up around 100KBps of bandwith. I am beginning to suspect that I have a virus on this PC.

Due to the fact that downloads are excruciatingly slow and I don't have any other anti-virus software on my hands, is there anything else I can do before downloading new software? If it does come down to me being forced to download something, which programs should I get? Thanks in advance.

G

if the internet slow down on all computers on your network,it's probably your isp

what kind of connection do you use (wired or wireless) if it's wired try changing the ethernet cable and see if it works,if it's wireless try with ethernet cable

FusionVortex

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

I am running a wired connection. The question is, however, how do you explain dllhost.exe utilizing so much bandwidth? I have a feeling that dllhost is the problem, so I want to investigate it first before calling my ISP and/or changing my Ethernet cable.

FusionVortex

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Network iControl originally came with my ASUS motherboard; I have never had problems with it for the close to 2 years I've had this PC. Furthermore, never before has there been so many dllhost.exe processes running since I've had the PC. Network iControl is not the issue here.

TRENDING THREADS