Question Internet goes on and off after upgrading to 1Gbps

FrozenGod

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
Today I've upgraded my internet speed to 1Gbps and everything is working smooth on all the devices I have except my main PC.

After some struggle and googling I came across a solution that fixes the problem but this makes my 1Gbps speed useless as the solution is to setup a limit on internet speed (in Device Manager > Speed & duplex) to 100Mbps.

I've updated Windows (10) to the latest version + downloaded the latest network drivers from official Intel website. These fixes did not help unfortunately.

What else can I try to enjoy 1Gbps on my main PC without getting interrupted 10 times a minute?

Thanks in advance.

FrozenGod

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
What do you mean interrupt? system crash?

I mean internet connection going on and off every 10-20 seconds. Especially when I'm trying to download something / run a speed test.
Oh and by the way, now "Auto-negotiation" is 100 Mbps, and 1 Gbps is not working at all while 100 Mbps is working without going on and off.
I guess this started happening after I updated everything (drivers,windows).
Screenshot: https://monosnap.com/file/xvedU8sqUtIDfNDn2hhxoYdKiUIhrk

Can it be due to my ethernet cables being Cat-5E and not 6/6a?
Should I call my ISP and ask them to setup a better cable?
5G WiFi results are much better than the ones I'm currently getting with my PCs :(

Edit: it just went off again on "Auto Negotiation"...
It looks like every time it detects a 1Gbps connection and tries to deliver, internet is going off.

Last edited:

FrozenGod

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
try another cable from the modem to the pc? how far it is?

I just have a router, no modems. All the cables are going thru the walls starting outside of the apartment ending in every room.
I have tried to connect a cat-6 cable from the router straight to my Laptop, the results were indeed better: 200 Mbps down and 480 Mbps up.
Still far from the promised 1 Gbps but better than 90 Mbps max when connected thru the wall cable.