iOS Rage Shootout: iPod 3G vs iPhone 4 vs iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
looks good but lets not forget this is all pre-processed and pre-baked visual effects...in anyways, clever method to bring good visuals to a useless piece of hardware...

I wonder what tegra 2 can pull

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]looks good but lets not forget this is all pre-processed and pre-baked visual effects...in anyways, clever method to bring good visuals to a useless piece of hardware...I wonder what tegra 2 can pull[/citation]

Wrong, these graphics are rendered in realtime, just like any PC game or console game you buy today.

Tegra 2 is designed to kick ass, so it better deliver.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]technostropic[/nom]Newsflash iPad chip better than 9 year old Microsoft console chip... Forgive me for not falling down in shock.[/citation]
which that chip is based off a 1999 Celeron Processor.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
for those who are interested, take a look at TEGRA 2 running Unreal Engine 3.5 demo with pre-baked Global Illumination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpGtu_ZkwqA

the only thing that me made me laugh was nVidia's marketing tone (Tegra 2 is comparable to 4 years old high end desktop) right... even ION 2 is not comparable to 7600 gt for that matter,,,

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]no, what you are looking at in these graphics are pre baked lighting on top of textures, very similar to Mirror's Edge.http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ [...] h-analysis[/citation]

Mirror's Edge made by DICE, who also made BF:BC2 that also uses baking. And UE3 calls it cooking. As seen in the directory for UT3
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC

G

Yeah, there are so many Tegra 2 devices out there. It must be difficult to pick which one to develop for.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
"Still, Carmack says that even a game like Rage: Mutant Bash TV isn't even close to maxing out what the A4 chip can do."

If the chip is so good then why make this an on-rails shooter? That is only done when the chip cannot handle a full FPS experience.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wrong, these graphics are rendered in realtime, just like any PC game or console game you buy today.Tegra 2 is designed to kick ass, so it better deliver.[/citation]

Its on-rail you noob.

sudz

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I was expecting a proper shootout... Frame Rates? anything?

This is just 3 pictures!

Can you run the HD version on a 3GS? Are the textures any better rendered? Lacking on details!

volky

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The Ipod touch 3rd gen 32-64 gb version and Iphone 3GS have basically the same hardware as the Iphone 4G and Ipod 4th gen. Both series have a Cortex A8 and a Powervr SGX 535 along with 256mb except for on Iphone 4G it 512mb but all of em support Open GL ES 2.0 oh and the prcessor speeds for the Ipod touch 4th gen and Iphone 4G are 1-800mhz and a constant 600 mhz for the Iphone 3GS and Ipod touch 3rd gen 32-64 gb. What boggles my mind is the fact that they would show the Ipod touch 3rd gen running Rage SD instead of it running Rage HD because the Ipod touch 3rd gen was built to run Rage HD, heck I'm running it on mine.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Ha Ha I doubt the A4 is better then a modified Pentium III and a geforce 256/3 hybrid or the Wii's PowerPC CPU...

Status
Not open for further replies.