iPad Hacked to Insert Verizon MiFi Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
While I don't own any apple products, at least in Australia they come un-locked. Seems like the US is getting the short end of the stick with every apple mobile device.

Good work on getting it to work off AT&T's network.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]proofhitter[/nom]Apple lawsuit in 3...2..1...[/citation]

Lawsuit? Nah, they'll go straight to busting down his door and ransacking his house.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]Two douche bag companies why separate them?[/citation]

One is bearable. Having Two is too much.

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Its sad that when you pay so much for a device you have to hack it (nice work by the way) to get it on the carrier of your choice.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
It's interesting that the article didn't mention the area in which the device was getting those speeds. It could be that there was no 3G AT&T network there, and there was a 3G Verizon one.
Hope he's able to keep his name and location a secret. This has got to be a big apple no-no.

silentq

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]seboj[/nom]Lawsuit? Nah, they'll go straight to busting down his door and ransacking his house.[/citation]

device is no longer apple's property, hacker owns it. why would there be a lawsuit?

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
There is nothing Apple can do about it. He purchases the hardware and he owns ever piece of metal and plastic. He isn't making money off of it. This is the same as all the iphone modding. You can't stop this sort of stuff. Another reason Apple wont do anything is they made their money off the device. No harm done to them.

madman1391

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Same reason as your don't own OSX when you buy it?I will bet even money the EULA for the iPad is just as impenetrable as the one for OSX, but this at least is understandable, (note, this is a copy and paste from Apples own EULA webpage)http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/MacOSX.htmSo, expect the Apple Cops to bust this guys door down at any moment, because even though you paid for it if the EULA is the same then Apple still own it.[/citation]

Thats like saying because my fish swims then my dog should swim as well. Software and Hardware are two entirely different things. Just because they are from the same company means jackshit.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Forgot to say,

Now this guy has pissed Steve Jobs off by saying "hey, you are not giving us the best experience". The brainless Apple Zealots gonna kick his doors down and tear him into pieces.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]manitoublack[/nom]While I don't own any apple products, at least in Australia they come un-locked. Seems like the US is getting the short end of the stick with every apple mobile device.Good work on getting it to work off AT&T's network.[/citation]
You have no idea how short our end of the stick is. I think technically, the iPad in the US is unlocked. The problem is that every network here now uses different frequency bands if not different technologies all together. We have 4 real carriers, 2 GSM and 2 CDMA. The 2 GSMs are basically compatible unless you want 3G data, those are on different bands, so equipment made for one won't get 3G on the other. On top of that, both the US GSM carriers use different GSM bands the the rest of the world, so the only way to get complete global compatibility is for a carrier to use a radio capable of operating on 5 different bands!

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]It's interesting that the article didn't mention the area in which the device was getting those speeds. It could be that there was no 3G AT&T network there, and there was a 3G Verizon one.Hope he's able to keep his name and location a secret. This has got to be a big apple no-no.[/citation]

Wouldn't that be par for the course? Verizon with a better network and broader reach than AT&T? In Charlotte NC, my Droid absolutely destroys my buddies iPhone in every way possible, and Charlotte isn't necessarily the backside of the moon.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]MamiyaOtaru[/nom]could be worse - he could be somewhere like where I am with no AT&T service at all[/citation]

Isn't that just about every major metropolitan area?

Status
Not open for further replies.