Status
Not open for further replies.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying my wife an ipad2 for our anniversary and mother's day. I have some questions:

1. i'm deciding whether to get one with 16gb or 32gb HDD. what do people generally store on these types of devices?
2. when you download and install applications, does it eat up some of the 16/32gb HDD or does the ipad2 have another seperate place where it stores apps?
3. if I were to get one that also works on the G3 network, does it basically eat up data on my wife's phone plan?
4. what do people generally use this device for? surfing internet, sending emails, what else?
5. does it work on all wireless routers or do they only work on routers that recognize Apple devices? I'm thinking of buying the Netgear WNDR4000.
6. anything else I need to know when deciding between the different models?
7. are other brands better, like Samsung?
8. is there a way to "reimage" the device or set it back to factory defaults?
9. do you have to pay for all the apps or are there alot of free apps?

Solution
1)Depends really.IMO 32GB is the sweet spot because since iPad apps require more storage than iPhone/iPod touch apps
2)iPad doesn't have external storage,so yes all the data will be on the main 16/32GB drive
3)Not sure,but I think yes
4)I use it for web surfing,watching movies,reading pdf/books,email,some games etc.
5)It works with all routers
6)No,the *only* difference is the capacity
7)It depends.Currently iPad 2 is the best tablet(rated by trusted sites) because of having a great combination of power,price and performance ratio
8)Yes,you can set it back to factory default at anytime
9)There are lots of free apps
1)Depends really.IMO 32GB is the sweet spot because since iPad apps require more storage than iPhone/iPod touch apps
2)iPad doesn't have external storage,so yes all the data will be on the main 16/32GB drive
3)Not sure,but I think yes
4)I use it for web surfing,watching movies,reading pdf/books,email,some games etc.
5)It works with all routers
6)No,the *only* difference is the capacity
7)It depends.Currently iPad 2 is the best tablet(rated by trusted sites) because of having a great combination of power,price and performance ratio
8)Yes,you can set it back to factory default at anytime
9)There are lots of free apps

Solution

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

I use mine mostly for reading comics, magazines, ebooks, and occasionally browsing the web from the living room. I tried several games (Rage, Dead Space) but the poor controls made me nutty so I gave up...

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
sorry I have another question. I read in a CNET article that:

"The AT&T iPad model uses a GSM modem and a MicroSIM card slot, allowing you to easily swap in compatible MicroSIM cards from foreign carriers when overseas. Verizon's iPad uses a CDMA 3G modem and lacks the SIM-swapping feature of AT&T's GSM modem, making it a poor choice for international jet-setters"

Does this mean if I want to use AT&T, I need to get an ipad with the at&t modem in it? and does at&t or verizon work in Canada?

rlu929s

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
If you are wanting to use the data plan then yes, you'll need to get the right IPAD for your carrier.

Just a note as you asked above. If you get a 3G IPAD. You can turn off the 3G Data and only have to pay for the full month while you have it on. So for example if you only needed 3G every so often you could leave it off for several months and not have to pay for it using WIFI.

Keep in mind even turning it on for a few seconds would charge you for the whole month.

Status
Not open for further replies.