iPhone 4 Cable Catches Fire, Burns Owner's Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Have to wait and see on this one. I know I won't get one of these phones till the bugs are found and fixed in future updates.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
At this moment it is still too early to say whos fault is (though We'd preferre to put the blam on Apple no matter what..:p )
It is good that the phone did not actually explor. Otherwise.. the shatter glass can be very scary (specially for the people who like to leave the phone in their front pant parket..:p

G

Yeah, must be total user error. Apple has never had any issues with any of there products. Stupid consumers, not knowing how to not burn themselves!

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Im just starting to feel sorry for Apple owners at this point. Recpetion issues, the lack of Flash ( It matters to some), and now this. Hopefully this is an isolated issue because as much as people who purchase this crap disgust me I dont want to see anyone get hurt from their choice in devices.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]IFLATLINEI[/nom]Im just starting to feel sorry for Apple owners at this point. Recpetion issues, the lack of Flash ( It matters to some), and now this. Hopefully this is an isolated issue because as much as people who purchase this crap disgust me I dont want to see anyone get hurt from their choice in devices.[/citation]
Don't feel sorry for them, the fact is they brought this upon themselves by being mindless apple zombie fanbois.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
From the looks of it the antenna which is directly connected to the inner electronics of the device came in contact with the plug. If the power cable was inserted into the port of the iPhone4 and then bent up towards the antenna would that not make some sort of contact and electrical loop? I think the device may have been leaning on the plug and it just bent enough to make contact and grounded. My call is they make the port a bit bigger with a plastic socket on the inside insulating the antenna from contact.

G

Just put more heat sink around the cable. Lucky my old iPhone 3G with OS4 is working just fine.

rockola

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
This kind of thing has plagued Apple for decades. Back in the mid 80s when I was a retail service tech I replaced a LOT of Mac analog boards - the vertically mounted board that held the power supply and CRT electronics. Several actually flamed out, requiring replacement of the entire machine.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Well if this happens for only 1 out of 1.X million than its probably not an issue this device is being used by over a million people. I dont like apple but this is probably a non issue its probably not the phones fault ultimately they probably wont find out why this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.