Iphone 5 connects to school Wifi but doesn't work!

jaglax12345

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
The problem is that my Iphone 5 running IOS 6.1 connects to the public school wifi (Which does not require a key) but when I go on the internet it just says no connection? I've tried everything from restarting my phone to resetting my network settings! Sometimes it'll work for about 5 minutes but then it stops. Any help will be appreciated! :fou:

inzone

Splendid
I don't have an iphone so I can't be sure but is the ios 6.1 the newest os for the iphone ? So could there possably be some bugs to be worked out.
My wife has had Apple devices and it seems like the tech support is very good , have you asked the Apple tech support people for assistance ?
Other than a network requiring a password to connect I don't know why you should be having trouble.
Do you connect to you home network ok ?

rawanabusalman

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Apple recently released iOS 6.1.1, but I'm not aware of any bugs on 6.1 that would cause such a problem. I don't think it's a software issue. It could be a hardware issue, but I doubt it is.

Have you connected your iPhone to other Wi-Fi networks (at home, for example?)

That's the easiest way to figure out if there's a problem with your phone or not.

But if I were to guess, I would say your school's network probably requires a proxy server to be set to be able to connect to the Internet. You've mentioned that you can connect without a key. It's unlikely for anyone, let alone schools, to have completely open networks. Networks that you can connect to without a key usually require some other form for authentication, like a username and password assigned for each student, for example.

Do you have any other device (laptop, tablet etc...) that connects to the network via Wi-Fi and Internet browsing works on? That could be a good start. You can check and see if any proxy server is set there.

If not, might you be able to ask your school's IT department? They should be able to assist you in connecting your device.