iPhone Dev Goes After Game Hacker; War

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How low.

To mr. most_uniQue, take a step back and look at what you've done. Read over your excuse for your actions. Read it again, then have someone else read it to you. You need to realize that in this case, your argument doesn't make sense. It's whack-a-mole, it says that in the description. your "subtle" insults to these two people are revolting to me.

These people put a lot of time into what they were doing, I can't remember a single point in my life that I was working on a single project for 250 hours. They could have been building a garage for somebody, they could have been making custom computer cases, but instead they chose to make some money by making a game.

Thanks to you, this couple have yet to see a dime past the point where they break even financially. Imagine yourself, spending hours upon hours working on some project, maybe a new webpage for somebody, and then I came in and took a hammer to your hard drive because I didn't like the website you were making the page for. I've just taken your time and effort and did whatever I wanted with it.

You know what's the saddest thing about all this? Your thoughtless actions hurt me, the legitimate consumer.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i guess the economy is bad but not this bad, lol. it's only .99 wtf is this world coming to. anyone can learn how to hack software, but they don't, you know why? we have a life.

G

If anything I'd say that this is a prime example of why we need to move towards free apps and more advertising. Most of the best software I use everyday is free and I don't mind the adds.

And as joxer stated, this has nothing to do with stealing, and in reality is no worse than downloading music or movies (free).

hobbitcy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I have to say as a retail in the game market and a consumer that if you were going to download a cracked game or software you most likely weren't going to buy it in the first place.
but i mean come on its not like they are trying to sell there game for a tenner its one pound/euro/dollar

G

Offer a trial. 99 cents or otherwise, I don't like getting hosed.

VVV850

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
The only thing I can find good in cracking a 1$ game is that all software has to have a demo or a trial. Doesn't matter the cost of the software even if it was for 50 cents it should have had a demo to it.

barrone

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
i somehow agree with the hacker in what regards the motives: i feel too that some sotware companies seek glory and success in a very short term overpricing their product. playing pirated games gave me the opportunity to understand that some games are rubbish and full of s..t before spending a vey high 49.99 on them. I must add here that i do own personally software worth of more than 1000USD at this momment but i must appreciate the hacker for he/she gave me the chance to spend my money right. But that is in principle. The 0.99 game discussed here is much too cheap to be treated the same way. So here the principle applied is wrong.

JumpKickJoe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
The cracker/hacker has the whole "Robin Hood" attitude, but in all, he still stole someone's work and it's a measly 99¢ app. I think the Itunes store should have a mandatory demo listing for all apps on the store and a editor's review stating if it's worth your hard earned dollar.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm wondering who'd actually even bother looking for a cracked version of a game costing that little?
I mean - the effort of even having to get a torrent client - or opening then one you have, is already more than the effort of actually spending the equivalent of a coinoffer, on a homepage.

I have pirated stuff for convenience mostly. When it's easier to buy the stuff than steal it, there's no point left at all to steal it.

G

I don't agree completely with the whole arguement of this story being as free advertising for the developers. Given the fact that before this story I had never known of the wack-a-mole app and after I read the story I now know that the game exists and even more importantly I know it is obtainable for free. So yes the news story is good in that it gives product awareness but at same time you aren't going to get many sales because of the same news story says you can get it free.

G

If you want someone to pay for your game, you have to *make* them. It seems from the activity on the Multiverse that plenty of people bought Galactic Civilizations 2 even though it included no copy-protection and could have been downloaded without needing a crack. GC2 is small-time though, isn't it? There's also World of Warcraft(and any other MMO you can think of), any number of on-line first-person shooters, etc.

Online play requiring a legitimate serial # has been working since...Half-life 1 I think? Quake III had it, too. It worked then, and it still works.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Hooray for the hackers for Apple needs to be taught a lesson.

This is no different than scammers on eBay. eBay don't care because they are getting paid either way. Apple is getting paid no matter how many crappy games/applications an user is scammed into downloading.

Yes, $0.99 is cheap but if you had to download 10 games just to find the one you actually like, you are in fact paying $10 for that game. An open and transparent reviewing/demo system will ensure real developer gets the compensation they deserve and the scammers nothing.

I doubt Apple will adapt such a system seeing now many people like to get scammed.

G

I'm a iPhone developer of a more complicated game called Wallz, sell it for 99 cents, and still only make about $6-10 a week. Is it because of piracy? Maybe so now. Maybe not. The pirate here has zero justification as there is a large debate about offering free trials. For 99 cent games a free trial can be the death nail for you making anything. I think the pirate missed the point of a 99 cent game here and that is that you (or most) can afford to buy it and see if they like it or not.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]GamerOutfit[/nom]I'm a iPhone developer of a more complicated game called Wallz, sell it for 99 cents, and still only make about $6-10 a week. Is it because of piracy? Maybe so now. Maybe not. The pirate here has zero justification as there is a large debate about offering free trials. For 99 cent games a free trial can be the death nail for you making anything. I think the pirate missed the point of a 99 cent game here and that is that you (or most) can afford to buy it and see if they like it or not.[/citation]

That you don't agree with the hacker doesn't mean his 'excuse' isn't valid.
I dislike how apple makes money, so I've never seen the store. But if the hacker's point of view is, to make software available to iphone owners without them being locked to a apple site. Then his excuse is valid enough. People with jailbroken software may not want to go to the store, even if the game was available for free on there.

Point is - it's a matter of which customers side you're on. The type that only does as the book sais, and makes do with what he gets. Or the type that wants everything a product can give, and is willing to do something to archieve it.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Nobody seems to notice that the application creators did install without any warning or notification a "phone home" "feature", which opened a connection to them without the authorization of the owner of the phone. This is another "good practice" being abused by SW "developers".
There are a lot of "developers" which are only after a quick buck, by offering crapware.
The accusations of stealing do not apply to the cracker, he didn't even make a cent of his work. The only ones to blame are, eventually, those who are using the cracked application, but even they could not be technically accused with stealing, because the original owner wasn't "permanently deprived of his property".
A discussion about the whole IP stuff and the losses through "piracy" which IP holder companies are whining about, would take a lot of time and space.
But, for a short comparison with the real world, what would you say if a person could get just a license to use a car from the manufacturer, for which he had paid a certain amount, and the whole neighborhood would get a license, too, and summing up the license fees would add to a way higher amount than the value of the car?
The problem is: how can the real value of a virtual object be calculated?

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
agree,
stealing and cheating happens everywhere then the answer lies on how much effort the owner can provide to avoid/protect it.
the more he protects and care of a property, the more value.
(many exceptions but done for simplicity)

[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]The problem is: how can the real value of a virtual object be calculated?[/citation]

G

It's one thing to hack a 99c game, but for all those who chose to download it instead of pay the 99c? That's cheap...

G

I don't guess our hacker friend thinks much about what happens after our bodies expire, but going on the assumption there will be a Judgement Day and this individual will stand before the most powerful force in this universe, in front of billions of others, and be compelled to explain his/her rationale for their actions; well, if it was me I'd be downright scared. Have you ever thought of the shame this sort of action results in, on you as an individual? I find it hard to believe that someone with your talents could not do something good for this broken ol' world, and in doing so regain your self-respect and the respect of folks in this world and the next. This advice comes from one who did much evil in his early days, and spend my time now trying to make up for it. With Love.

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Not that piracy is right but how could one possibly "misrepresent" a 99cent whack a mole game... in all honesty if you have that much time to spend on cracking a game that you can buy for a dollar your time could be put to better use. I would have had slightly (SLIGHTLY) more sympathy for the hacker if he used the reason of the dev's not releasing a trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.