• Ipod Touch

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Sony PSP

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
My little cousin is looking to buy a mobile device for music, games, internet and movies in that order of importance. It's come down to the sony PSP vs. the IPod Touch. I'm looking for your personal experiences and thoughts on the matter. Plz it's come down to these two devices so plz keep comments on teh ipod touch and the sony psp.

blade_nrr

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I own a psp. my order of importance is : games , music , internet and movies. psp definitely has better games. its for serious gamers and casuals( dont forget online multiplayer), while the Ipod touch is for casual gamers.

on the music front , Ipod touch wins. its smaller and more mobile , has a music library function (sorting..etc). but the psp is enough ever for a music addict like myself.

for the internet, I think differences are negligible (again. dont forget PSP online multiplayer ). as for movies, its simple: PSP has a bigger screen, period.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I thought that it is really hard to get movies onto your PSP--there are so few formats it supports. Personally, for a kid with the priorities you listed above (where games is not the first priority but music is, plus the fact that he even wants to browse internet and watch movies), i think the Touch is a no-brainer choice. Every day dozens of games are added to the iTunes store, and the iPod/iPhone platform is what many game developers are interested in right now.

Nothing beats the iPod Touch/iPhone for mobile web browsing, music, and movies.

However, if your cousin is willing to do without the movies, the new Nintendo DSi might just do the trick for him, and you can be sure it will be cheaper than the other two devices. The new DSi is coming out in the U.S. in early April.

willabong123

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
i dont have any of the but what ive heard is that the ipod touch has a faster internet and its easyer to get musics and movies into it. IPOD TOUCH !!

Akatski

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hmm.. These devices are quite different. PSP is more a platform for videos and games, either then music. To convert videos it takes quite sometime to get urself a nice tool like Alloy mpeg4, avi etc converter... Once you set it up, it will convert ALL formats u can think of really fast in Mpeg4. Otherwise there are always enough resources with converted videos..)
However. Its not THAT small to be an audio player, in fact im not really sure what is this function for, guess couse this is a multimedia device. ;)
So I also have an MP3 player that can fit in the pocket.) Much better.
Btw, if we talk about video formats, It supports most of them, however some freeware players should be installed to play them. ;) I could watch DivX, Avi, Mpeg4, something else, though I still use its natural format.

Thats why if u need a player, PSP isnt suitable for that... Believe me.

2willabong. Dont be rediculous.. If you have a PC with internet why to download stuff from the device? O.O When you can simply upload whatever you want from your PC in your pocket device. ) Anyway im not quite sure if Touch has faster internet. Usually it depends more on the network speed itself, and if we talk about free wifi, they re usually slow or overloaded.

finoy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
psp rules man because you can play old system like gba,gb,gbc,n64,snes,nejester and more. psp rules u rather get that than iphone because iphone games are boring and cant play old system games.

tutubi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
psp is almost like a palmtop. you can watch movies, play games of almost any kind, use as an mp3 player, read word/adobe documents, browse the net etc.

ipod touch doesnt have the same capabilities

weewoot

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
I would say PSP because i used to have 1 and the games are great and the music is pretty good.

I have an iod touch but i didnt really buy it for the games, but the internet, music and video is great. the games are more of mini games when u are waiting for the train.

krjcook

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
If he looking more into the gaming on the go I would say get the PSP, but that's the only thing I can recommend it for. iPod is more for audio and casual gaming.

gabey_chow

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Itouch!! Here's a few reasons why:
-Some free apps, GO doesn't have any
-touchscreen, MUCH better typing since there is a virtual qwerty keyboard
-Games aren't as boring as people exaggerate, they are mainly smaller games though... tetris, pacman, etc... but you can download older games from nintendo and such. You could jailbreak it and really maximize the touch's potential
-64 GBS of memory!!! this is on the latest itouch! Even with the largest micro sd memory card in the world(32 gb), the Go's 16 + additional 32 gbs expandable memory can't compare with the touch's 64 gb.
-Apple products are pretty solid
-Wayyy smaller and portable
-Plays Youtube videos unlike the Go as I've heard
-Screen size? honestly opinion/preference here. Bigger screen simply means bulkier device and faster battery drain & vice versa

I'm still going to and fro with having to pick, but I think the touch's keyboard really pulled through. I can't imagine having a chat with the psp's 4 buttons trying to keep up. Games are definitely more intense though. But I really think I'll end up with a touch. I'm a touch screen fan. So if the go had a touch screen, I might change my mind.

Sincerely hope this helped,
-Gabriel

ps-let me know what you end up getting =)

krjcook

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

Your suggestion sounds too Fanboyish and biased, Your right about it having a better keyboard, better browser and internet experience, free apps, touch screen, but some things were unnecessary and seems were thrown in there just to make the Touch look far superior.

Your throwing out some spec's that wont appeal to a parent or a kid to that matter. If your gonna do that then I should go ahead and talk about how the GO has bluetooth and it can be used a PS3 controller, see what I'm trying to say who cares about bluetooth and the PS3 controller thing if you don't have neither, just like jailbreaking and the higher memory capacities of the Touch if the kid doesn't have a lot of music there's no point. I'm sure over 70% of Touch user's don't know what jailbreaking is and on top of that the PSP used such methods first (dark alex). You stated the 64GB Touch like it's not $400 or the 32GB like it's not $300. 8GB - 16GB is good enough for a kid if not overkill. Honestly, I don't know one person who has over 16GB of music besides these 2 older gentlemen who average around 100GB. I only own like 40GB music.

He didn't state he was goin' for the PSP GO, which I'm sure he knows is a bad investment at $250. If he chooses a PSP, it will most likely be the 3000 or 2000.

As a gaming platform, The touch is simply casual. Were not ready for hardcore full on touch screen gaming. Have you tried any games that use a virtual joystick instead of the accelerometer, (ex: Assassin's Creed), majority of them suck. For now there's nothing better than physical buttons. That' why PSP and DS is where real gaming is at.

here's a unbiased opinion get the iPod Touch 8GB, it's only $200, the kid gets a good media player that can have free games. If the kid really loves Gaming, get the PSP-3000, also don't rule out the DS.

gabey_chow

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Well the itouch has Bluetooth too. And I would guess he would want the current highest product on the market... and the Go has everything and more than previous versions of the PSP.
Personal thoughts and experience buddy, not investment and price issues... he didn't mention anything of the sort.
And this forum is pretty old so it's really comparing those products now.
And you do realize that it's not ALL about the music, otherwise these would just still be MP3 players! duh. the fact is that they are MP4 players, which means movies!! and movies will kill memory, so really the more is not unessecary in this case.
Again, it's really a matter of if you're an intense gamer or not, and I would think that the majority would not be and want portability over, well... a giant psp. That is the biggest decision breaker.
As for me:
ITOUCH ALL THE WAYY WHOO!

G

get the touch... it has better specs... the new touch has a 800 mhz prosesor and 256 mb ram and is soo much faster. well worth the money.. plus the psp only has wifi 802.11 b the touch has 802.11 b/g and is a lot better browsing expierience.. if you dont like safari.. just download a differant browser from the app store... its that simple..

krjcook

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
get the touch... it has better specs... the new touch has a 800 mhz prosesor and 256 mb ram and is soo much faster. well worth the money.. plus the psp only has wifi 802.11 b the touch has 802.11 b/g and is a lot better browsing expierience.. if you dont like safari.. just download a differant browser from the app store... its that simple..
The new touch doesn't have a 800mhz processor that 's new iphone 3gs, get your specs right before you recommend something. Anyways this article months old, i'm sure he's already made his choice.

Sai

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
My requirement is exactly the same. Thats how I landed up here. I want to buy one for my neice. She will use it mainly for watching 3 hour movies, playing games, listening to music and browsing the internet (i cant tell the order of preference). I want a device which enables easy and quick upload be it games or movies at a lesser cost (or for free). What types of memory cards does the PSP accept?

c0ll3ct0r3

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
i own a psp 3002...and the battery last me all day playing music and games.

the psp doesnt go as oud as the ipod touch when playing usic... which could be a good thing, as it is less likely to screw up his hearing...

it is also exremly durable. not even a scracth on my month and a half old psp. w/out a case. and is been dropped. music an d movies are much easier to put on the psp than the itouch. as you can just drag and drop.

also.. psp DOESNT NEED shitty itunes which starts up as soon as you log on... and slows ur whole computer down

PSP ALL THE WAY