Iran Has Severed External HTTPS Access

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]I see Iran as a huge mess in 2012 and a major reason US moved out of Iraq (to prepare for Iran).[/citation]
I don't think so. If we were preparing for an offensive against Iran, wouldn't Iraq make a perfect staging ground? It would be like preparing to attack Nevada from California.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I don't think so. If we were preparing for an offensive against Iran, wouldn't Iraq make a perfect staging ground? It would be like preparing to attack Nevada from California.[/citation]
Who needs a staging area when you have THIS :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Last time I checked, shutting off the internet to the world is the fastest way to kneecap any international businesses, and eventually the entire economy. Egypt's credit rating was slashed when they shutdown the internet, and that's not a good economic sign.

Then again, maybe Iran's economy doesn't have much connections to the rest of the world other than oil, allowing them to take a smaller hit. Or their government is desperate to silence any protesters. Or both.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]feeling sorry for majority of Iranians whose lives are being manipulated and regulated by their own government officials trying to cling on to power[/citation]

feeling sorry for the majority of Americans whose lives are being manipulated and regulated by their own government officials trying to cling on to power

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I'm normally at least somewhat anti-US, but I support them in their attempts to prevent Iran from having Nukes. They really are turning into North Korea, but a militant-religious version which is even scarier. If they keep going down this road more and more countries will stop trading with them and they will quickly fall to the poverty level of N. Korea. At least Iranians are still standing up for their rights and protesting these totalitarian policies.[/citation]

The main difference between North Korea and Iran though is simply that N.Korea would use nukes as a latter\last resort and Iran would use them as a 'come and have a go if you think your hard enough' type taught and then go ahead and use them anyway for the hell of it!

One thing to consider though is that the thinking of the population of both nations is not reflected the same as that of their leaders as they surely don't want war any more that we would.

As for their leaders, they may posture a lot but it doesn't mean to say that if push came to shove that internally their governments would get their own way as I'm sure the citizens don't want to get cooked by a retaliatory strike, which they can be assured would happen, and would therefore rise-up to take control before it would ever come to armageddon.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If we would not need their oil this whole thing would go away...let's see how the Arabs come up with the cash to buy the weapons to kill each other...then we will see who has the last laugh :)[/citation]
You realise that Iranians are not Arabs, don't you?
You also seem to think that every oppressed citizen is an evil bastard who deserves to be kicked in the face by you for your enjoyment.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kryojenix[/nom]You realise that Iranians are not Arabs, don't you?You also seem to think that every oppressed citizen is an evil bastard who deserves to be kicked in the face by you for your enjoyment.[/citation]

Of course I do. It was mean as a general term for the middle east.
I have nothing against them as people or even as a culture. Theirs are VERY different from ours, better or worse, who wants to be the judge. The two cultured just do not mix well, historical fact.

But a fact is that -if the oil is out of the equation- they are off much worth then we are.
Their whole technology and infrastructure, weapons, internet, computers... all western technology. All the money they made, and virtually non was used to build up their own basis to make a living after the oil runs out.

So they will fade back into the dark ages, dependent on food, medicine and god knows what else from the west.
and again, 'west' as a general term as the future super power is not in the 'west' at all :)

G

For the record almost every Iranian person I have ever met has been gentle and peaceful and raised very similar to every other good person I know. Hopefully people will not judge people just because of issues that are way out of the average person's control.

Status
Not open for further replies.