Is 66 degrees celcius(idle) and 80-90 degrees celcius(gaming) normal for laptop GPU?

Cheremy

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Have a msi GX740 which has a Radeon HD5870 GPU. The idle temperature is 68-70 and the temperature under load is low 80 to 90 degree celcius. My cpu is quite cool. 50-55 idle, 60+ on load. Cleaned out dust, cpu's temperature became 45-50 idle, 50-65 on load. Sometimes it hits 70 but not often. But GPU temperature remains the same. As I am typing this right now, I have google chrome, Starcraft 2(not playing, in menu),7zip extracting a big file. My CPU temperature is 47 degrees(both cores) and my GPU is 69. Is 69 idle normal for this card? Honestly I'm not too afraid when it's at 70 but when it reaches 90 i freak out, close as many programs as I can and turn on the air conditioner...

Solution
The temps for the CPU is actually pretty good. In most gaming laptops the CPU generally ranges between 85C and 94C.

I am not sure about the mobility Radeon HD 5870 though. It was a pretty high end GPU back when it was released so I would say that those temps are probably about right. If you are a bit adventurous you can attempt to replace the thermal with something better (like IC Diamond), but that means you will need to take apart the laptop to remove the heatsink and clean out the old thermal paste.

That can drop the temps a few Cs for both the CPU and GPU since it is basically one heatsink for both of them. If the thermal paste is going bad then it would be more than a drop of a few Cs. But it seems the thermal paste is okay...

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013
If you want to game on a laptop you need to buy a decent laptop cooler, this will help tremendously, gaming without it is really bad and i preffer not to.

i have the same tempratures as you, i can understand your concerns, at high temps your GPU starts to run slower in order to compensate for the heat created.

So a laptop cooler will give you extra performance as well, as many before me have said, a laptop is not really a gaming machine. 90 is fine for a laptop GPU but really consider that laptop cooler.

Cheremy

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Laptop cooler as in those things with fans on it and you place your laptop above it?

DragonChase

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Yes indeed :)! They are relatively cheap! and well worth it, on many occasions if the temp would spike above 90 in the summer for example, this prevents crashing and hurting the laptop.

The temps for the CPU is actually pretty good. In most gaming laptops the CPU generally ranges between 85C and 94C.

I am not sure about the mobility Radeon HD 5870 though. It was a pretty high end GPU back when it was released so I would say that those temps are probably about right. If you are a bit adventurous you can attempt to replace the thermal with something better (like IC Diamond), but that means you will need to take apart the laptop to remove the heatsink and clean out the old thermal paste.

That can drop the temps a few Cs for both the CPU and GPU since it is basically one heatsink for both of them. If the thermal paste is going bad then it would be more than a drop of a few Cs. But it seems the thermal paste is okay because the CPU temps are pretty good.

If you are going to take the laptop apart then you might as well consider install little tiny copper heatsinks to drop temps another few degrees. Custom laptop sites like ProStar and XoticPCs using copper heatsinks similar to the ones in the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Copper-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B00637X42A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386605430&sr=8-2&keywords=laptop+copper+heatsinks

Lastly, you can also underclocking the GPU with MSI afterburner to lower temps as well:

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Solution