Is benchmark software recommendable?

KaterineL

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
So I am getting a gaming laptop and because of my curiosity about benchmark, I have developed several questions.

1. Is it recommendable to be use when purchasing new computer component?

2. Should a brand new laptop (buying from a reseller) be put through the stress test and the benchmark software

3. However, are there any top free benchmark software that you will recommend to me. ( I am a newbie, please forgive my lack of computer knowledge.

I have done a little research and found 3dmark11, pcmark7 and unigine heaven.
I have also found a pretty neat forum at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/351605-28-best-benchmark-software-performance .
However with my limited knowledge of benchmark software, the list of that was presented seems overwhelming.

The laptop i owned have such specs

4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4700MQ
8GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 w/ Optimus™ Technology

and soon to be samsung 840 pro but 128gb only.

Tradesman1

Honorable
There's tons of them out there, take a look at Guru3D for a good selection:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_categories/benchmarks_demos.html

and running a stress test or 2 like Prime95 is a good idea, and do it before the return period runs out, so you can RMA/return to vendor during the period, otherwise if a problem have to go through the manufacturer which is a real pain, and if there is a problem you often get a used/refurbished one in return

Tradesman1

Honorable
There's tons of them out there, take a look at Guru3D for a good selection:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_categories/benchmarks_demos.html

and running a stress test or 2 like Prime95 is a good idea, and do it before the return period runs out, so you can RMA/return to vendor during the period, otherwise if a problem have to go through the manufacturer which is a real pain, and if there is a problem you often get a used/refurbished one in return

KaterineL

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Is there a few that you think will cover most specs of the laptop?

I have check the links and it seems like most of them are for gpu only.

Well I plan to run prime95, unigine heaven, and 3dmark 11 is there anything else I am missing? Is there any advice you will like to pass down to me before I start to test my new laptop tonight?

KaterineL

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
Okay, I am going to start it this week; I am new to doing this so if there is any advice or recommendation, it will be appreciated; I want to stress test and benchmark my laptop right away when I get my laptop so i can take advantage of the return policy, if anything fails. Is there any steps I should do to allow the software to properly tested the machine?

Tradesman1

Honorable
To run Prime, I make sure the laptop is slightly elevated or on a laptop cooling pad and the grid air paths of the laptop are clear, maybe run it for an hour or two, if it fails I'd take it back and exchange.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS