Is it possible to have a HTPC be used for two separate rooms at two separate times?

Athesto

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Building a HTPC for my mother. The system is set up in the living room by the TV, I want to run a DVI cable to a TV I bought her in her bedroom.
Is there some way that I can have the HTPC switch to the monitor if you turn the TV off?
I was looking at KVM switches but that isn't really what I am looking for, or is it?

Solution
1. If you run a DVI cable to the bedroom she won't get sound. You would need to add an audio cable for that.
2. If you just set the HTPC to mirror the monitor to the bedroom TV you won't need to have it switch. Just turn on or off the one she wants to use.
3. If you want her to play files on the HTPC a media streamer or stick with DLNA might be easier and cheaper. Would give her control of the file playback too.
4. If you want her to access streaming services the same is true, Easier for her to control the streamer in the bedroom with a remote than the PC with a tablet.
Sometimes trying to do more with less becomes too complicated and difficult to use. Just a thought.
1. If you run a DVI cable to the bedroom she won't get sound. You would need to add an audio cable for that.
2. If you just set the HTPC to mirror the monitor to the bedroom TV you won't need to have it switch. Just turn on or off the one she wants to use.
3. If you want her to play files on the HTPC a media streamer or stick with DLNA might be easier and cheaper. Would give her control of the file playback too.
4. If you want her to access streaming services the same is true, Easier for her to control the streamer in the bedroom with a remote than the PC with a tablet.
Sometimes trying to do more with less becomes too complicated and difficult to use. Just a thought.

Solution