Is it possible to use a laptop as a monitor and keyboard for a desktop PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesKRG

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
I have a pretty big PC next to me. It's not built yet but it's going to be a NAS/Backup build for the entire family (but mostly me) to use but I don't really have the space nor the want to buy another keyboard and monitor especially for it.

Ideally I'd like to simply put a small, maybe 13" laptop on top of it and use that as the monitor and keyboard. It saves the space of a keyboard and mouse. Does anyone know any ways I can do this? It's a Thermal-take Mozart TX case so a laptop would fit perfectly on top

I have no current preference for operating system, the best I can think of now is remote access but it would be nice to have the laptop and PC linked together in a sort of closed system atmosphere.

Also, I understand there are easier ways to create a NAS unit but for me the fun is in building one! Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes, what you are looking for is TMux and/or SSH.
To keep the connection 'in house' so to speak, you would directly connect the laptop to the NAS via a dedicated Ethernet connection. It might be possible to use a USB A to USB A cable instead.
If the NAS does not have a spare Ethernet port, you can get a USB to Ethernet adapter cheap which would be perfect for this.

Alternatively, you might mount a monitor up there and use a virtual KVM switch software for accessing it. When it's not being used, it can display the weather or a picture of family members. ;)

kedwa30

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Yes, what you are looking for is TMux and/or SSH.
To keep the connection 'in house' so to speak, you would directly connect the laptop to the NAS via a dedicated Ethernet connection. It might be possible to use a USB A to USB A cable instead.
If the NAS does not have a spare Ethernet port, you can get a USB to Ethernet adapter cheap which would be perfect for this.

Alternatively, you might mount a monitor up there and use a virtual KVM switch software for accessing it. When it's not being used, it can display the weather or a picture of family members. ;)

Solution

MilesKRG

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

Well, the Case itself is a 2in1. It's ATX on one side with ITX on the other. It would be good to utilize both slots, having one as a storage unit with the other side being a separate build. I am aware of network drives, but for me the fun is in making it myself. I'm fairly experienced with PC's but my knowledge is still pretty beginner so basically what I'm doing here is setting a goal and trying to do it myself, instead of using existing systems. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.