Is it possible to watch cable tv on a computer monitor?

HUIW

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
At my university, every dorm has access to cable television. I believe the cable is called "coax" which I figured are mainly for tvs. I have this monitor at home, it doesn't have coax connector but I was wondering is there anyway to turn my monitor into a tv?

Solution
The only way would be if you have a tower based system.
You can then buy a Tv card for the pc, where it can be fitted into a free Pci or pci-e card slot on the motherboard.

What you have to do is know what type of signal is being passed down the coax cable you are talking about.

For example is it for over the air tv Transmissions such as a tv aerial on the roof.
Or is it for a cable tv box, or does the coaxial cable feed of a satellite dish

In the case of the first type of signal all you need is a Dvb T tuner tv card for over the air.

For cable, or satellite.
You will need a card where it has a cam slot on it.
And you will need for example a valid and working Smart card from a sat cable box.
Or a cable smart box.

The card used to...

MusenMouse

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016
I guess something like this would work? https://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx3C0KNPROUVSGG/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B015IL0FIW

Haven't used one but according to the questions on Amazon it will work with cable as long as whoever is supplying the signal does not require a box to unscramble the signal.

You could also get a TV tuner card and stick it into a PCIE slot of a desktop, but the same issue of scrambling would still apply. Ask your university help desk and they may be able to tell you more.

Shaun o

Distinguished
The only way would be if you have a tower based system.
You can then buy a Tv card for the pc, where it can be fitted into a free Pci or pci-e card slot on the motherboard.

What you have to do is know what type of signal is being passed down the coax cable you are talking about.

For example is it for over the air tv Transmissions such as a tv aerial on the roof.
Or is it for a cable tv box, or does the coaxial cable feed of a satellite dish

In the case of the first type of signal all you need is a Dvb T tuner tv card for over the air.

For cable, or satellite.
You will need a card where it has a cam slot on it.
And you will need for example a valid and working Smart card from a sat cable box.
Or a cable smart box.

The card used to desc-ramble the channels is then fitted into the Cam slot provided on the Tv card fitted to the Pci or Pci-e card slot of the pc.

They are not cheap to buy, as most of the card can be used for all three types of digital signals from over the air, to cable, and for sat dish connection.

An example of one is bellow, as said for the latter two cable, and sat a decoder card is required to be fitted into the cam slot for decoding.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TBS-6528-PCI-e-TV-Tuner-with-Common-Interface-DVB-S-DVB-T-DVB-C-Full-HD-1080p-SD-/182288661447?hash=item2a71403bc7:g:sy8AAOSwmfhX4n~9

Solution