Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2019
Is it safe to plug my headphones (3.5mm) into a aux splitter (1x male to 2x female), then one end of a male-to-male aux cable into the splitter and the other end into my computer's audio output (headphone jack)? a diagram of what I'm trying to say. This would essentially extend the length of my headphone cable which is too short (and I don't currently have a 3.5mm audio extension cable).

I've tried this already and the audio works (surprisingly). I mainly want to know if it's safe for the computer and headphones if I use an aux splitter with one female port for input and the other (female port) for output. It's a standard splitter usually meant to split 1 output into 2 outputs.

I assume the voltage/electrical impedance or whatever wouldn't be a problem because it's still only 1 input and 1 output (I've read that 2 inputs to 1 output can cause electrical/voltage problems). This is obviously not ideal but is it safe? My headphone cable is just too short to connect to my desktop computer under the table.

Last edited:
Solution
You can usually split an output but you can't "split" an input. To connect two sources to an input you need a switch because a splitter effectively connects both sources to each other. It may not damage anything but it doesn't usually work well.

Sonic Illusions

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS