Is it still possible to upgrade Win 7 Home Premium to Win 7 Professional?

Gwensparkle

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014
This question was address several times over the years, but I could find no recent solution, and with Win 10 in full swing, the situation has changed. I would like to use XP Mode but it's not available for Win 7 Home Premium.

I have a Win 7 Home premium pc and have been running into problems running several programs. I belatedly discovered that if only I had Win 7 Professional I could download and use a Windows application XP Mode on my pc. If only I could find a place to buy an upgrade key upgrade to Professional. What's out there to buy is all over the place pricewise and often says it won't work with upgrade. Other times it says nothing, but I don't assume that means it would work. Is there any place or way to still get an upgrade?

Or are there alternatives. Don't say compatibility mode for programs, because I already know I have several that that doesn't work for. In some cases the software won't even install.

aldan

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2013
anything i ran on xp ran just fine on win7.if it doesnt,try running it in compatibility mode.i loved win7 but in my opinion it isnt worth messing with at this point.by all means clarify what you are looking for here tho.

Gwensparkle

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014

Thanks, Aldan, but that wasn't the case for my software. Some of my software wouldn't even install.

I'm not sure how much I can clarify for you. I'm looking for a straightforward way to create a virtual XP machine on my Win 7 64-bit PC. Microsoft's XP Mode is such an application, but it requires at least Windows 7 Professional.. I am either looking for a pointer to an economical source of a key to upgrade my current Win 7 installation to Win 7 professional. OR looking for a pointer to another way to get a virtual Win XP on my Win 7 Home Premium.

When I do a search, I see many places selling Win 7 pro, but I can't tell which, if any, would work to upgrade. I think most of them are keys that come from decommissioned PCs and some even say "it may not work with upgrade". I think they tend to work with clean installs..

It might be that I need to set up a dual boot machine. I was hoping for something simpler. :)