Is it worth buying the Sennheiser HD 600; for me?

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Hey,

I've been wondering and researching about which headphones to buy and the HD 600 seemed nice to me.

I listen to melodic death metal most of the time, although I tend to listen some rap now and then.

Would you recommend these headphones to me?

Solution

I'll answer this with my thoughts, then duck for cover in case I start some sort of brand war. No one brand is better than the other, it all comes down to preference.
Sennheiser headphones are more "analytical", in my opinion. The sound is very clear and the tone well balanced. This lets you hear every little detail in the music
Beyerdynamics tend to be more "punchy". The highs and lows might be slightly more exaggerated. This tends to make music and gaming more fun due to strong bass and clear highs.

again, these are my thoughts. everyone...

TheDualshock

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Haven't tried them myself but there are a lot of positive reviews about people loving the sound and comfort. It is a fairly expensive piece of equipment so if you have the cash to throw down and are an audiophile, go for it. There are other cheaper alternatives that will probably satisfy you just aswell though.

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
I've read that I have to buy an amp aswell. I have no money for that. Would an "Onboard Creative Sound Core3D™ quad-core audio processor" suffice for that instead?

A_Goat

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
Have you tried other headphones?
Those are "enthusiast" grade headphones.

Have you ever listend to Beats by Dre? Preferably the studio editions.
NOT recommending beats, would simply be a good sound quality reference.

trying to make sure the quality level you're going for is anywhere close to requiring those headphones.

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
I'm mainly going to use them for gaming and listening music. No I've never put on Beats, using Razer Megalodon now, used Logitech G45 for a while and Tritton 720+ iirc.

I hope this answered your question.

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
have you looked at less expensive (but still amazing quality) headphones? Take a look at the Sennheiser HD 558/598. You could also get a DAC/amp like the Audioengine D1 or Fiio E10k for less than the price of the HD600. If these are your first "hi-fi" headphones, then the 558/598s are a good starting point.
Alternatively, check out the Beyerdynamic 770/880/990s.

I would also like to add that "open" headphones are great for gaming because they have a great "depth" to the sound. Also known as the soundstage.

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Funny you say this, I've checked all of those out. Guess I went with 600 for design aswell.

These are my first "hi-fi" headphones, yes.

Would you recommend Beyer or Sennheiser?

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

I'll answer this with my thoughts, then duck for cover in case I start some sort of brand war. No one brand is better than the other, it all comes down to preference.
Sennheiser headphones are more "analytical", in my opinion. The sound is very clear and the tone well balanced. This lets you hear every little detail in the music
Beyerdynamics tend to be more "punchy". The highs and lows might be slightly more exaggerated. This tends to make music and gaming more fun due to strong bass and clear highs.

again, these are my thoughts. everyone hears things differently. I have owned the HD598s, DT770 pros, and HD535s.

build quality is superb on both brands. Keep in mind that the beyerdynamics go up and down in price a lot. Right now on amazon the DT770 pros (which I have) are over $200. I bough them last year for $180.

If you dont mind waiting, there is a website known as Massdrop, where people do a group order of items to get the lowest price. Headphones and other audio equipment frequently appear on here.

Solution

Asulia

Estimable
May 31, 2014
I don't know what I like tbh.. I'll keep notice on Massdrop but shipping costs are a pain aswell (Netherlands).

I really enjoy clear sound though (atleast I think lol)
Any way to "test" this?

hysteria357

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
oh I didnt consider that, shipping from massdrop outside of the united states can be a bit of a pain.
Unfortunately there isnt a place to try the headphones, but as for the different sound types... if your razer headset as the ability to adjust the equalizer you can give yourself a sort of "test". try cranking up the bass and treble on the equalizer and listen to music like that for a couple hours. Next, make sure all the sliders are in their default position. This should give you a rough idea between the two.