Is it worth saving? (Toshiba Satellite P755-S5120)

iamgrazzi

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Hi everyone,

My sister owns a Toshiba laptop (model mentioned above) with what seems to be great specs (i7 processor @ 2.2 GHz, 8 GB ram, 750 GB hard drive, runs Windows 7 Home Premium). However, the laptop is not performing up to what we expect from it - it is slow to boot, slow to run, etc. A clean install of Windows 7 does not help much either.

I can't really pinpoint what is wrong with the laptop. The scores achieved in the performance index of Windows 7 are some of the highest I've personally encountered, so shouldn't this laptop be performing a lot better? It seems like some hardware issue is the problem. Assuming I can figure out what the issue is, is it worth saving this laptop? Fixing would be financially better for us right now so it would be preferable but if it's a lost cause, we don't want to waste money.

Thanks for your opinions! :)

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Test your ram using memtest86 or similar bootable cd or USB stick
Test hard disk using Seagate diagnostics boot cd or USB

The hardware ram & hard disk are relatively easy & cheap to replace

If these tests pass try booting from modern live Linux DVD or USB to see if problems are reported

Also have you installed correct video graphics driver after re installing windows 7

Along with motherboard chipset, audio, power management etc?
Without correct drivers you won't get full performance

Regards
Mike Barnes

iamgrazzi

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Alright here's what I've got so far:

Mike Barnes, all my drivers are installed correctly (I found a neat program called SlimDrivers that helped me with this). I'll run those tests and let you know what happens.

Construkt, I ran chkdsk last night and once the computer rebooted I saw nothing. Is there a place I can check the results?

Reedo_43, right after boot I'm running 50 processes and CPU usage is very low at idle, never going above 4%, usually staying at 1 or 2%.

Thank you for everyone's help so far!

iamgrazzi

Estimable
May 31, 2014
I ran SeaTools for DOS and the hard drive failed the long test - errors were found. The software suggested this might have been due to "problem sectors which are difficult to read". This comes after me telling chkdsk to scan and fix errors last night. Might this mean the drive has physical damage?

reedo_43

Distinguished
Your drive may be going south. At least it is still working. It will probably only get worse. I would backup and replace while I still had the chance. You can probably rma the drive. Go to drive manufacture web site, fill out rma. Sometimes you will have you run some tests. It probably has 3 year warranty. They will just need the serial# to see if it qualifies. Good luck!

Dogs Barking

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
I was having a similar problem with a Toshiba P755-S5383. I replaced the hard drive with a SSD and a fresh install of Windows 7. I was running great until I re-installed Toshiba HHD Protection. It kept saying it had felt a vibration and it was moving the heads to a safe position ( no heads in an SSD). This slowed everything to crawl. You may want to check the sensitivity or uninstall it all together. My machine has the same specs except the hard drive and performs great.