Is it worth?

vascor1

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
Hi everyone, sorry if i'm in the wrong section.

I'm going to get a laptop to complement my desktop on my University studies.
My Desktop its still good and i want a laptop for mobility.

I have two in mind, both have an i5-7200U and a GeForce 940MX 2GB, they are pretty similar, same connections and battery.

Where do they differ? One has a 17.2" screen and the other 15.6", the 17" screen one has 8GB DDR4 2133MHz in 1 slot with another free for up to 32GB and the 15" one has 8GB using both slots (up to 32 GB too same specs).

Does the extra screen size and the option to future proof with the RAM worth the extra 70€?

I'm used to 24"screen on my desktop but i don't think that matters (i will get used easily?) and the extra weight its not important, the laptop is mainly for the university but i will use it for occasional games when i'm at my parents house (300 km away so i cant get my desktop with me :D )

Thank you for your time.
Vasco

Solution
Is it worth the $70 probably not, but it does make things easier to read, it does not really help increase concentration. It does reduce the portability of the laptop most laptop bags are for laptops under 17" it also makes it more difficult to find a place to set it down. If the price was equal I personally would buy the 17" even with the downsides I listed. for the extra $70 I don't think I would.

I am in the US I understand that you use a different currency but I don't know the keyboard shortcut for yours that is why I used the $ symbol.
The 940mx is good enough to play games. It not good enough to play all games at 1080p and high settings. But a mix of low and medium settings is possible depending on the game. If you play something like LoL then you can run it at 1080p with max graphic settings using the integrated Intel HD 620 and get an average of 60 FPS.

Installing more RAM can help, but that depends on what programs you are running. If you work with large files, and have multiple programs open then having 16GB+ of RAM can help. If it has a hard drive, then upgrading it to a SSD will improve the overall responsiveness of the laptop. The SSD will not make it powerful only more responsive (like booting up faster) because SSDs have much higher read and write speeds.

personally I have a 13" a 15" a 17" and a 19" laptop... and I rather use 90% of the time the 15" because of sheer size weight, not to mention not having to walk around with a camping ruffsack to carry the 17 and 19" laptop..

power wize I prefer the 19" because of the NVidia 940m in it its NICE. especially for game.. but only for game play to be honest . the rest it is just as done on a 15" laptop. invest into a 19" monitor you will leave your grandparents ?

vascor1

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015
Thanks for all the answers but i don't want the laptop for gaming, i have a pretty decent desktop.
I'm studying computer engineering and it helps to have portability for school work and to study when at my parents house, where some casual games may occur but nothing too heavy.
My concern was about the options i may take in the next years that can lead me to some heavier programs where the RAM would help.

Let me re do the question then, is the 70euro worth the screen upgrade?
Thanks

vascor1

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015

Isn't the bigger screen better for reading programming? i'm used to a 24 inch monitor and i didn't use a smaller one in a long time. Whats your experience over long time reading/working on both the 15 and 17/19".

Thank you for your time.

vascor1

Estimable
Jul 21, 2015

I have 16GB RAM and an SSD on my desktop and it really helps, but i don't think i will need the upgrade right away, was more about, having the option to upgrade if i need in the future.

And what about the screen size? does it help in reducing fatigue/increasing concentration?

Thanks for your time

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Is it worth the $70 probably not, but it does make things easier to read, it does not really help increase concentration. It does reduce the portability of the laptop most laptop bags are for laptops under 17" it also makes it more difficult to find a place to set it down. If the price was equal I personally would buy the 17" even with the downsides I listed. for the extra $70 I don't think I would.

I am in the US I understand that you use a different currency but I don't know the keyboard shortcut for yours that is why I used the $ symbol.

Solution