is linux better than windows ?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

As ahnilated said, this question just breeds arguments. With that said I work extensively with both operating systems, so I'll give you some of the cold hard facts free of any opinions.

1. Linux and Windows are equally as secure. The oft cited "Linux and OSX are immune to viruses" statement isn't really true. Security updates are regularly pushed down for Linux distributions in the same way that they are pushed down for Windows. If it was immune to security breaches, security updates wouldn't be necessary.

What is true though is that the average Linux user is more security concious than the average Windows user and is thus more likely to follow best practices. The best antivirus is a smart user. Most viruses that target Windows install themselves alongside other software. Remember that 18GB GTA V download that popped up on The Pirate Bay a few months back? It's nothing more than 18GB of malware. Furthermore, Linux and OSX are highly divergent in terms of its distributions and collectively have a very small market share, so it's often not worth it to exploit them simply on the basis of return in time invested.

2. Hardware support on Linux is very hit and miss. It's better now than it was a few years ago but getting common consumer products to work is often an extreme gamble. Wireless network devices, printers, and scanners are particularly problematic. Sound cards and graphics cards are getting better but often use generic drivers that lack support for hardware-specific features.

3. Linux distributions vary greatly in terms of their interface presentation. While most of the underlying tools are the same (GNU applications), these tools are designed to be fast, compact, and efficient; they are not designed to be intuitive. There's a huge learning curve required to really begin appreciating Linux that is hidden by the Windows GUI.

4. Application compatibility is very hit and miss. Installing an application on Windows is almost always just a matter of downloading an installer package and running it. Newer versions of Windows have multiple compatibility layers built in, which is why applications written for Windows 95 can still run on Windows 8.1. Linux distributions on the other hand do not have extensive backward and forward compatibility. Instead, they use a distribution repository that provides applications that have been tested and tweaked to run on that distribution. Installing applications from outside the repository is certainly possible but this often requires some additional legwork to install dependencies and sometimes rebuild the application from its source code (something that is rarely ever done on Windows)

5. Gaming is far better on Windows right now.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished

no, no, no and no. linux can have viruses, there are just less viruses made to attack it and more made to attack windows. all OS's will lose loading speed of the hard drive with time as more software is installed and things become fragmented. windows is better for gaming only because of better software support from gpu manufacturers and directx api, but the games that are made to run on both platforms run just as well on both imo. windows is easier for most people to use. Neither is better, they are different for different purposes.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
To clear up some misunderstandings.
There are no anti-virus programs for linux because viruses are only theoretically possible to date. You can't make a vaccine until you have a disease to prevent. There are virus scanning programs that are used mainly to scan windows partitions and emails that may be infected coming from a windows machine, wouldn't want to spread them in forwards to windows users.

Hardware can be an issue but to describe it as "an extreme gamble" is really not right. HP printers and scanners are in fact easier to install in Linux. Some scanners, some USB wireless dongles and some vid capture do not work but that is changing. Manufacturers are looking to the future and they see that most devices have linux on them now and they don't want to be left behind.

Yes, there are a variety of desktops. Some are meant to be very user friendly like Ubuntu and Mint and some like puppy are more utilitarian to accommodate very old systems that are resource shy. This is not a bad thing, rather it's a good thing. You can get versions configured specifically for music editing or school networks. Video editing or something that looks and feels like old school XP. For most users the learning curve for Ubuntu or Mint from XP or 7 is less than people going to 8. I speak from the experience of teaching in Africa and I teach both, few stay with windows because Ubuntu or Mint are easier. Yes, there is a lot more you can learn if you feel so inclined, like how to rewrite the desktop in a different language but for normal users there is little or no need.

Installation of new software is extraordinarily easy. Choose and click. It'll download and install everything you need including a complete system upgrade if you want. There is some tweeking needed with specialized software but not the common user type and the fact that you can tweek it is again a plus. Backward compatibility in MS? Try opening a docx in word2003. Old software doesn't die it just fades away.

Windows is indeed better for games. Hands down.

Windows does have much more software available, certainly an advantage for the power user, but for everyday use there are very good equivalents. LibreOffice for example is the official suite for dozens of governments.

Most people now use linux. If you have an android phone you have linux.

To say which is better depends entirely on what you use it for, I'm not a gamer, I'm a teacher and programmer so windows holds no advantages for me. For others it does.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
To clear up some misunderstandings.
There are no anti-virus programs for linux because viruses are only theoretically possible to date. You can't make a vaccine until you have a disease to prevent. There are virus scanning programs that are used mainly to scan windows partitions and emails that may be infected coming from a windows machine, wouldn't want to spread them in forwards to windows users.

Viruses on Linux are not theoretical, they are very real. Unlike Windows however, they are not widespread. This is largely due to the reasons that I mentioned above, not simply due to the strength of the OS itself. It's much easier to get a naive Windows user to provide administrative access through UAC to a malicious installer by using some clever social engineering (pirated software is loaded with malware) than it is to get an experienced system administrator to run something that he or she is not familiar with with sudo.

Hardware can be an issue but to describe it as "an extreme gamble" is really not right. HP printers and scanners are in fact easier to install in Linux. Some scanners, some USB wireless dongles and some vid capture do not work but that is changing. Manufacturers are looking to the future and they see that most devices have linux on them now and they don't want to be left behind.

Linux adoption on the desktop hasn't change substantially in the past decade. Linux adoption in embedded systems has increased largely due to Android, but drivers for mobile devices are useless for desktops. What has occurred is that device designers have adopted hardware design approaches which makes it somewhat easier to write generic drivers that enable basic functionality. Microsoft has been pushing for this approach for a very long time and completely rewrote the Windows Driver Framework to enable the use of generic drivers, Linux kernel developers have simply capitalized on the benefits. Functionality that is not exposed through generic drivers, or remains proprietary to the manufacturer is often left out of Linux. For example, Seagate does not officially support Linux and provides no documentation for their S.M.A.R.T implementation, so while there's Seatools for Windows to diagnose Seagate hard drives, anything on Linux is largely an educated guess resulting from reverse engineering.

Yes, there are a variety of desktops. Some are meant to be very user friendly like Ubuntu and Mint and some like puppy are more utilitarian to accommodate very old systems that are resource shy. This is not a bad thing, rather it's a good thing. You can get versions configured specifically for music editing or school networks. Video editing or something that looks and feels like old school XP. For most users the learning curve for Ubuntu or Mint from XP or 7 is less than people going to 8. I speak from the experience of teaching in Africa and I teach both, few stay with windows because Ubuntu or Mint are easier. Yes, there is a lot more you can learn if you feel so inclined, like how to rewrite the desktop in a different language but for normal users there is little or no need.

I have no argument with that. Linux desktop environments aren't as meaty as Windows. I didn't say that there was anything wrong with them, just that they are designed to be compact and efficient. With the exception of the Windows 8 start menu replacement Windows has been consistent since it was introduced in Windows NT 3; Microsoft has maintained the exact same layout for 20 years. The big difference between them is that while almost anything and everything on Windows can be performed through the UI using some well directed mouse clicks, much of the functionality of the Linux desktop still requires a working knowledge of the command line.

My personal favourite is XFCE. I recently converted a friend of mine who bitched incessantly about Unity.

Installation of new software is extraordinarily easy. Choose and click. It'll download and install everything you need. There is some tweeking needed with specialized software but not the common user type and the fact that you can tweek it is again a plus. Backward compatibility in MS? Try opening a docx in word2003. Old software doesn't die it just fades away.

Installation is easy if it's in the repository and there's no conflicts. If it's in the repository but the repository lacks a newer version, installation can be a royal pain in the ass; doubly so if the repository version alters the file structure of the installation package or leaves behind files that can interfere with an upstream installation. A good example that I've dealt with many times is installing MySQL 5.5 on Ubuntu 12.04; the repository contains only MySQL 5.1 and even if this is never installed or purged after installation there was a dangling my.cnf file sitting somewhere in /etc that interfered with a default source build of 5.5.

Binary packages and source installations often don't presume to link their executables to any location on the search path, or place their shared libraries in a place searchable by ldconfig. This still requires a lot of work on part of the administrator.

Repositories are a god send and they are getting better but it's extremely irritating when they do a poor job of tracking upstream.

As for Docx not working in Word 2003, that's because they changed the file format in Office 2007 and Office 2003 doesn't support it by default. Fortunately there's a patch for that :) Does OpenOffice still mutilate them beyond recognition?

Most people now use linux. If you have an android phone you have linux.

Everything about Linux on Android is masked from the user. Application developers are even hidden from the OS through Dalvik. OHSA could swap the Linux kernel for pretty much anything else, even the NT kernel, and few people would notice or care. It's just like how most people aren't aware that their PCs contain a large number of ARM ISA cores in the form of various controllers found littered all over the place. Few people purchase hard disks to learn about ARM, as do few people purchase Android phones to learn about Linux. Android has certainly resulted in some lovely improvements to the Linux kernel, but it really doesn't do much to help its case as a Desktop OS. Even prior to Linux's debut as the kernel for the Android operating system it was used heavily in embedded applications and hasn't slipped there at all.

To say which is better depends entirely on what you use it for, I'm not a gamer, I'm a teacher and programmer so windows holds no advantages for me. For others it does.

Exactly.

I run all my local stuff on Windows 8.1 but I have two work environments which I run as VMs in VMWare Workstation.

One environment is an ultra stable CentOS 6.5 environment in which I do all my professional programming and EDA work (Quartus, EDS, Vivado, KiCAD, etc...). Since CentOS derives from RHEL the core libraries are rock solid from release and the QA is extensive, so nothing breaks. Sure CentOS 6 is based on a 3 year old codebase, but I don't have to spend any time diagnosing obscure error messages.

My other environment is an xUbuntu 13.10 installation that I use for hobby stuff. I get to play with the latest and greatest free software without having to diagnose the cause behind being unable to cross compile the Linux kernel to the ARM architecture. Works great on CentOS 6.5, doesn't work on Ubuntu 13.10; toolset is the same too.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
@pinhead
Viruses on Linux are not theoretical, they are very real.
There are what, 10 known viruses that have been found that could possibly get into a linux system and only two of those in the last decade? And they require the active participation of the user to activate them and there exists exactly zero in the wild. You have a better chance of winning the powerball lottery, catching bird flu on the way to collect your winnings and then being struck by lightning on your way home. My objection is to give people the impression that linux is just as susceptible as windows to viruses, it's not. It is engineered differently and very difficult for viruses to attack whether the users are more or less likely to use best practices.

Everything about Linux on Android is masked from the user.
Which is the same as saying that it's only a question of a desktop that you like to interface with. You say that linux desktops are more lightweight, I disagree, they are more efficient. The problem with 8 is that you can't find things as easily as you used to be able to. For a new user Ubuntu is easier than 8 to learn because things are easy to locate. As to GUIs, what can you do in windows that you can't in linux? I'm aware of a few but they aren't things a normal user is ever going to encounter. Yes, we often ask people with problems to do a cli so we can get the exact info we need to help them simply because it's easy and fast. And your if comment on installation, how often do normal users need to install something not in the repos? Your example of mysql5.5, yes, the repos lag some but mysql5.5.32 is in the ubuntu depot now. Oh, and opening Docx with Libre office, I don't seem to have a problem with that and on the network I administrate About 70% use libreoffice and the rest MSoffice2010. There can be an issue with border widths differing but that's not exactly a major problem.

Yes, Windows has advantages, certainly for the gamers, but it is unfair to malign linux to try and make windows look better than it is.

Based on the OP's user ID tHE gAmeR 99, I am assuming playing games is the priority.

If that is the case, the Linux is really not the OS you want to play games with. Windows games cannot be played in Linux without an emulator. Emulators usually needs to do extra processing to allow games designed to run on a specific OS to be able to run on another OS. This means you will take some kind of performance hit. Of course, if you played games specifically designed to run on Linux, then no such emulator is needed. Because Linux has a pretty small install base most publishers will not develop games for Linux because it would not make business sense. Having said that there are some commercial games for Linux which can be found in the following link:

http://gamesonlinux.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

As for an emulator, WINE is pretty popular since it is free and allows people to play Windows games in MacOS and in Linux. It is not compatible with every single Windows game though.

http://www.winehq.org/about/

I suppose the best thing about Linux is that it is free. Ubuntu is probably one of the more popular iterations of Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

scottdeagan

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I think Steam on Linux is addressing the gap between Windows and Linux gaming. I'm not a gamer myself, but I hear a lot of good things abut Valve and their "Steam Machines" (Google it). It seems like there's a handful of new high quality games appearing every single month.

Gaming to one side - I recently splashed out on a new HP Pavilion X2 (11-h003sa). The unit comes with "Beats Audio" and Intel 7260 wifi. When I first switched the unit on, I was confronted with Windows 8 - it was hideous! I've never seen anything so confusing and unintuitive. Anyway, I tried to get used to it, thinking that it would grow on me, but it did not. It actually got more annoying to use over time (even though I was fully familiar with how to navigate etc). But that's just me. I'm sure some people actually love it - more power to them (not being sarcastic). I have to admit, however, that Internet Explorer 11 was actually pretty good. It's hardware accelerated, so scrolling and zooming was awesomely fast and smooth - iOS kind of smooth.

Anyway, one of the most annoying problems with the HP Pavilion X2 is the unreliable wifi. The speed was up and down like a yo-yo, and it disconnects about 3 times per minute. You may not notice it if you're just browsing the web, but you would if using any application that required a persistent connection (SSH connections wouldn't last very long, stream a video would result in 1 minute pauses every 20 or so seconds etc). I tried every single driver there was for the Intel 7260 for Windows - nothing helped. I also tried several different routers, but the problem persisted. I upgraded to Windows 8.1 - no help.

The audio under Windows was also extremely buggy. One of the main reasons I purchased the unit was because it was branded with "Beats Audio" (and because it had the new "Bay Trail" fanless Intel CPU). I thought this would provide near perfect audio that would result in the end-user enjoying media on the unit. Instead, the audio was "crackly". Every now and then it would just crackle/pop. I tried different drivers, upgrading to Windows 8.1, back to Windows 8, contacting HP support. Nothing worked.

The HP Pavilion X2 (11-h003sa) running Windows is borderline unusable. I decided to install Ubuntu 13.10 desktop (64 bit). The first thing I noticed it that the audio worked beautifully and perfectly. No more crackling! The wifi issues, however, remained. After doing some Googling, I soon discovered that this is a common issue with Intel wireless chips, and that the solution in Linux is to disable 802.11n. It wasn't difficult in Linux to disable this (by adding: options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 to a file in /etc/modprobe.d). I now have perfect wifi! I can stay connected to severs (using SSH) for an entire working day without any disconnects! Yay!! I can not also reliably connect to the Internet using my phone's tethering option (something that was extremely unreliable in Windows).

Anyhow, my point is just because it's Windows it doesn't mean everything "just works out of the box". In my particular experience with the HP Pavilion X2 (11-h003sa), Linux was by far the better option (as stated above, I'm not a gamer). I was willing to give Windows a try and was (secretly) actually looking forward to it. My expectation was that everything would just work, I would be able to do some work (using the PuTTY tools and installing a Linux Server VM guest on the unit, along with a GIT client etc), and I'd be able to enjoy media thanks to Beats Audio. The lack of a fully functioning WiFi driver on Windows for the Intel 7260 was the first kick in the teeth. The second was the audio quality (crackling sound).

As other people have mentioned above, think about your use case. In my case, the Windows/HP experience was a complete flop, and it was Linux that came to the rescue. I'd choose Linux any day (but I'm not a gamer).

scottdeagan

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Forgot to add in my previous post: one of the reasons why I first started using Linux is because a family member had their bank account emptied thanks to some Windows trojan/backdoor. I've never used Windows for online banking since. She got all her money back eventually, but it was a hassle, took a long time, and she was treated like a criminal (the bank suspected she was somehow involved!).

I'd just like to add to the argument above (about Windows vs Linux security) - Linux is definitely more secure. The source code is freely available. Anyone can grab it and modify it if they so desire. With such peer review, it's difficult for something malicious to be included (although it was happened for some open source projects in the past - most recently with a PHP project, some blogging platform I think).

I enjoy using an operating system that respects my freedom (and I love Wobbly Windows - something that's still available in Linux :))