Question Is my laptop battery damaged?

Aug 19, 2020
I brought a new laptop with i5 1035GI processor, 8 gigs of ram, nvidia geforce mx330 graphics. The laptop has a 2-Cell 32 Wh battery. The laptop is good all around but the battery life is very poor. After a full charge it just lasts one and half hour. I dont know if it is to be expected from a computer with the given specs or if the battery is somehow damaged. Any suggestions? Also, my laptop is Asus vivobook X509JP.

Last edited:
When gaming that sounds like a normal battery life. When using it for general web browsing or movies at a lower screen brightness that is lower than normal. Since it's new and you may have issues with it, first contact would be the place you bought it from or ASUS support.

The first thing I do with a new laptop (after using the vendor's tools to do updates to the BIOS and such) is a "clean" windows reinstall. Many laptops come with a lot of crapware and a clean install will get rid of this. You can then go back to the vendor support site and reinstall the few tools you may need. I always use the built-in MS Defender anti-virus. This reinstall is straightforward, but make sure you are confident in your ability to perform it. Lots of articles on line will tell you how.

I agree with the other comments regarding how the machine is used. CPU intensive jobs (like gaming and to a lesser extent watching videos) will consume the battery more rapidly. Long term battery life is somewhat dependent on the number of recharge cycles, so try to keep it plugged in as much as possible. If your machine offers the option to only charge the battery to 60-80% when plugged in, that will help with long term battery life but obviously shorten operating time when unplugged.

frederickalliston

Prominent
Aug 12, 2020
I brought a new laptop with i5 1035GI processor, 8 gigs of ram, nvidia geforce mx330 graphics. The laptop has a 2-Cell 32 Wh battery. The laptop is good all around but the battery life is very poor. After a full charge it just lasts one and half hour. I dont know if it is to be expected from a computer with the given specs or if the battery is somehow damaged. Any suggestions? Also, my laptop is Asus vivobook X509JP.

A battery is a component that unfortunately has a limited lifespan. This lifetime may vary depending on the capacity and quality of the battery, its use, and how it is recharged. In your case, you will have to make sure that your computer does not use too much energy by running several programs at the same time. No need to change it.

laurayuan

Great
Jan 7, 2020
Most lithium-ion batteries have an average lifespan of 300 charges or 3 years, whichever comes first.

There are utilities that will allow you to run some checks on the battery but judging by the things you have done already it sounds like it is a used battery that someone sold you as new.
You can google different battery testing software. Depending on what OS you are using you may want to see what is available.