Is my laptop ready for the bone yard?

DocPit

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have a Dell XPS 1645 (8 GB, w/SSD) running Win 7 Pro. About 5.5 years old. Its stability index is ~ 5. I keep drivers updated, Windows Updated, I did a Windows reinstall a few months ago. But I'm constantly (almost daily) having some minor but annoying problem. My cursor skips randomly, then I can't get any word processor to work correctly, then my browsers run slow, etc, etc., always a new issue. I'm wondering if some of my key drivers--e.g., for my video card and chipset--are now legacy drivers. So that as Windows updates, the OS "changes" but the drivers do not. Consequently, the alignment between the OS and the components it controls becomes increasingly tenuous. Do that make sense? I really like this laptop, it's still fast enough to run Photoshop and other similar apps, and, given that it's set up for graphics, replacing it would be a few thousand rather than a few hundred. I don't want to spring for a new machine. But, if this is inevitable and going to get worse, I just can't afford to spend my time trying to fix problems rather than getting work done. PS: Dell Diagnostics doesn't find anything wrong. Thoughts?

Solution
One thing you can do is download driver booster from iobit. it should be able to find the latest drivers for your machine if they are outdated. This should fix the mouse problem. For the internet, have you checked that your wifi card is not damaged. You could also check for bad sectors for you hdd as this can slow down application load times.
One thing you can do is download driver booster from iobit. it should be able to find the latest drivers for your machine if they are outdated. This should fix the mouse problem. For the internet, have you checked that your wifi card is not damaged. You could also check for bad sectors for you hdd as this can slow down application load times.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS