Is my Video Card dying?

ig6706

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
I have been having trouble recently with crashes in fallout 4. I thought it was related to the game specifically however after further testing I was wrong.

I noticed after playing a game (such as fallout) my game would crash a lot. After that crash happened I could not open any other game that was set to use my nvidia gpu; it would crash instantly. After running open GL Extension Viewer (which read your gpu for basic information) it would only pick up the integrated graphics card.

I was able to get the gpu working agian after restarting, but after crashing again while playing a game the same thing would happen. Other things such as furmark would work and run, but after my game/gpu crashed it would not detect my gpu either.

I believe this started to happen after I had to restart my computer when new drivers were installing. (it froze) I have tried reinstalling various versions of drivers however the problem persisted.

So my question is what is causing this? Is my Gpu dying?

Comp specs:
i7 4710 HQ
860m 4gb
16gb ram

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
probably not, try a clean installation of the drivers. I am sure there are other way to figure it out, but i would just do a system restore first to see if that fixes it and if that didnt work I would try a clean installation of windows.

ig6706

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015

Can I keep my personal files with the system restore or will that defeat the purpose? I don't have an external

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
system restore doesnt delete your files I suggest backing up everything before doing anything like this though. Burn them if you dont have an external or thumb drive. I dont keep anything important on my C: so didnt think about it.

ig6706

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
hmmm well the video card seems to be working fine after the system restore, however now my computer stutters and then blue screens?!?! (happened after installing new drivers and downloading and install windows updates)

edit: stuttered again, this time it said drivers failed then recovered however now getting same problem was playing a game at the time:|

ig6706

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
still having problems really need help.
Crash happened again, this time got a blue screen with the error "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR"
also getting "Nvidia Kernel Mode Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" if it doesn't BSOD