is Roku redundant?

gaaah

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Hi, I'm a retired programmer and I haven't really been keeping up with the streaming media options out there. I've always wondered what the hype is about Roku. I have a Win 10 PC, a
wireless router, an old HDTV cabled to my gaming type video card, and a Flirc remote receiver. Is there anything that Roku can offer me that my setup can't? I'm all for simplifying. Is it the fact that Roku can consolidate all of the popular streaming services and search them for what I want? If that's all I'll be glad to skip it. I just have too many gadgets! I would say the only thing I miss is the old-school 6pm nightly news type program, and I mean TODAY'S news.

UPDATE: I just though of another advantage: My PC doesn't have to be up and running to use the Roku box. OK, so it would save some energy.

Solution
I recently purchased a Roku2 and my girlfriend and I instantly fell in love with it. We primarily use it for HBO Now, Netflix, Pandora, and a few other apps. The picture quality is great at 1080 60Hz. As for today's news, I can't speak on as I have yet to fully explore the marketplace. I feel like it is an exceptional alternative to a HTPC if you don't care for gaming.

To be sure though, the picture quality on the 2 model is as good at 1080 as good as what a PC would produce.

In order for you to have your nightly news, you can always purchase a digital antenna and pick up the local stations.

theyeti87

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I recently purchased a Roku2 and my girlfriend and I instantly fell in love with it. We primarily use it for HBO Now, Netflix, Pandora, and a few other apps. The picture quality is great at 1080 60Hz. As for today's news, I can't speak on as I have yet to fully explore the marketplace. I feel like it is an exceptional alternative to a HTPC if you don't care for gaming.

To be sure though, the picture quality on the 2 model is as good at 1080 as good as what a PC would produce.

In order for you to have your nightly news, you can always purchase a digital antenna and pick up the local stations.

Solution

gaaah

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks bro. I've been learning more about it since my post. I didn't realize it had a ATSC receiver. I'm actually warming up to the idea. Also, programming a Flirc to give me the same functionality as Roku would be tedious.

yes, a roku is redundant.

everything a roku has access to, you have access to on pc plus even more options.

so why might you want a roku even if you have a pc? it works very conveniently via remote control. its not going to replace the pc nor give you as much freedom or options as a pc will however if you want a device to casually watch some shows it will handle that. getting to content will be harder though and typing anything in is a real bother.

if you have a pc, i would just stay with pc. your choice though. generally i do something similar with my ps3 for netflix and youtube [relax and kick back with a controller when not on pc] so i can certainly understand your desire.