Is swapping out the "HyperX Cloud II'" headset microphone possible?

Papa Big Bug

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
Hello, I am considering buying a pair of the Hyper X Cloud II headset.
Although it seems good all around, I've heard a couple of complaints on the microphone and USB dongle.
I was thinking of a way to improve the mic by swapping it out with e.g. a ModMic 4.0. Would this be possible considering it has a 3,5 mm jack build into the headset to fit the original microphone?

Solution
if you like fairly significant bass response the dt770 is a decent choice. for closed headphones the soundstaging really isnt bad at all. they come with velour pads so dont get as hot as pleather does (but any closed cans will get a bit warm).

the akg k550 is closed but is very bright on treble (brighter than most headphones in general). more of a neutral soundstage but not much bass at all. pretty detailed too.

for the price ($100usd) the ath-m50 has good sound quality (its what i personally use). good bass without getting muddy, decent but not heavy treble. however, they have small soundstaging. the dt770 is an all around better choice (But much more expensive as well). definitely not suggested for games (the m50) but is usable and...
if you're not going to use the usb soundcard (its bugged and has major issues) and you dont want to use the mic... dont bother buying a headset.

the hyperxcloud headset is $100, a modmic is $50. that would put your total budget somewhere around $150ish.

for just a little more than the hxcII you can get a pair of hd558 from sennheiser which would be MUCH better in terms of quality. or, on the cheap the hd518 for $75. both can be paired up with a modmic.

if you wanted to keep things below $100 (the price of the hxc2) then perhaps the creative aurvana live! headphones for $65. for under $100 they are highly regarded as "good" sounding cans though since they are a closed design are not really "ideal" for gaming. paired up with a cheap mic (moovmic or zalman clip on for instance) and its still under budget.

with how you're thinking i would highly suggest going with separate headphones and mic. you'll get more quality that way anyways.

to sum it up: hd518 or hd558 + modmic would be great. if you wanted virtual surround either use razer's free software, the software on your motherboard for it (if yours has it) or a cheap soundcard like the xonar dg however many people find they do not need to use virtual (its a personal preference really)

Papa Big Bug

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
Thanks for the answer, I have been looking into the two Sennheiser headsets and some other "audiophile" headsets and I can say I'm tipping towards this solution.

I am already sold on the ModMic from research, but the thing i stomped on is if the HD 518 and 558 are closed or open headsets?
A large "sellingpoint" that got me looking into the HxcII was that it had a combined jack and removable microphone.

I will be using the headset im looking for on bus and collective transport, and therefore wish to have a headset that does not leak too much sound that won't annoy others.
Also, I am into competetive gaming such as CS:GO, and wish to have working headset to listen well, do you know if one of these or other headset's like these are good when gaming?

the hd518 or hd558 are far superior to the hxcII in terms of sound quality and soundstaging.

the hd518 and hd558 are open design which is what gives you that good soundstage and accurate positional audio which makes them so good for both music and gaming alike. yes, they will leak audio in and out however unless you like to blare your music (or are listening to some really inappropriate things in public) its not a huge deal.

closed design headsets will isolate you more but will have a smaller soundstage and will tend to get a bit hot for long gaming sessions.

the modmic is removeable provided you dont sleeve the cable to the headphone cable.

Papa Big Bug

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

Okay, do you know any options for decent/good headphones that are closed?

if you like fairly significant bass response the dt770 is a decent choice. for closed headphones the soundstaging really isnt bad at all. they come with velour pads so dont get as hot as pleather does (but any closed cans will get a bit warm).

the akg k550 is closed but is very bright on treble (brighter than most headphones in general). more of a neutral soundstage but not much bass at all. pretty detailed too.

for the price ($100usd) the ath-m50 has good sound quality (its what i personally use). good bass without getting muddy, decent but not heavy treble. however, they have small soundstaging. the dt770 is an all around better choice (But much more expensive as well). definitely not suggested for games (the m50) but is usable and excellent for music. for gaming while not great the dt770 would be a better choice.

Solution